Pizzle Rot

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by artzkat, Jun 10, 2009.

1. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    Anyone had experience treating pizzle rot? I have a 2 1/2 yo wether with inflamation and scabby sores. I have cleaned it with dilute hydrogen peroxide and then using topical antibiotic ointment. It has been about a week and it's not getting worse..but not improving much either. He is eating well, alert, but I am concerned that the infection is not healing. Perhaps some PenG injections necessary?
    He is off all high protein grain ration. I don't want to dilute his urine output too much and risk him getting calculi.
    Thanks for suggestions!

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would put him on a round of Pen G - but I would also stop using Hydrogen peroxide and switch to a diluted Iodine to where it looks like tea. Hydrogen peroxide after the first 24-48 hours can actually kill of good tissue as it is healing.

Does he have a temp at all??

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I was going to say the same thing. I would use the diluted Iodine, little dish soap and warm water like Allison said so it looks like tea. Keep it as clean as possible. I also would add a drop or two of Tea Tree oil if you have it.

Does he act like he is in any pain? What kind is he? I usually hear of it a lot in Angora goats because of the mohair.

4. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    Yes..he is a Pygora..mostly Angora coat. I heard that we should have left long hair on his belly when we sheared him as that helps direct urine away.
    I only used the peroxide once when I first found the problem ...I know it was not the best idea, but I panicked. I have been using warm soapy water since to clean it.
    No, he is not running a fever and is not licking himself..which is what first drew my attention. He is enthusiastically eating and drinking. But he is not his "usual" self. I think he got this because we have had such amazingly rich pasture due to lots of rain. Even though I have been careful about how much they get..it seems to be no margin of error with these guys. The other two wethers seem to be fine.

He weighs about 60lb. What dosage of PenG would you suggest?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    antibiotic treatment is needed daily.. applied topical ointment. NolvasanTM ointment... Bag BalmTM. DesitinTM diaper rash ointment. Any.. Oil-based products that stay on and provide a protective coating. :hug: :wink:

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I personally dose at 1cc per 10 pounds. Give for 5-7 days- but don't miss a dose or you start over.

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    one of my angora wethers gets bad pizzle rot, I actually find it is far better to keep it trimmed under there, than have it build up with heaps of wet hair.

Also, I give 1/4 teaspoon methionine to him every day and that makes a world of difference (I hide it in some bran or lucerne chaff).

8. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    Thanks all..I think I am making some progress on it..not quite so scabby today. I like the methionine suggestion and will give that a try. Also now I know to be on the lookout for this on a regular basis.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome...Kat ...so happy to hear that.......... :hug: