The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, around sunset, my doe gave birth to twins. First kid came out fine, followed quickly by a much larger kid with severe facial deformities.

Fast forward to today, and Mama still has placenta hanging. I have been watching her and she occasionally squats and passes what appears to be amniotic fluid but the placenta doesn’t budge. This is her second delivery...first went off without a hitch and it was multiples, too. I guess I’m wondering if I should be worried yet or should I give nature a bit more time since she’s up and eating and caring for her living baby?

I have my Pen G, probiotics, and B complex on standby if the consensus is that she’s in trouble.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is she still pushing at all? If she is, there could be another kid.
She has pushed some, but not that "bear down and here comes baby" type push. The last little push came after I milked her. Her one baby can't keep up with how quickly her milk supply is coming in and I'm also concerned about mastitis.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
She has pushed some, but not that "bear down and here comes baby" type push. The last little push came after I milked her. Her one baby can't keep up with how quickly her milk supply is coming in and I'm also concerned about mastitis.
Was that this morning? If it was, I'd lube up and check for a kid, just to be safe. It's hard to give advice over the internet when we can't see the doe and aren't really sure what's going on, but it's definitely better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was that this morning? If it was, I'd lube up and check for a kid, just to be safe. It's hard to give advice over the internet when we can't see the doe and aren't really sure what's going on, but it's definitely better safe than sorry.
Thanks Ranger!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How are things?
She passed the placenta I was initially concerned about, so that's definitely a good thing. However, she has an over abundant milk supply at this point, having lost a kid, that mastitis is a concern. So, I started milking her to relieve her some...as I was milking, more placenta started coming out. Poor gal, she's having a rough go of it this time. Not sure if I should be worrying, since she's actively contracting still or not. Seems to be taking it's good sweet time this go around.

·
8,066 Posts
That is good that the placenta is coming out as you milk. Milking stimulates the uterus to contract. After a week or so, her milk over abundance will settle down. Hopefully the kid will nurse on both sides.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts