Placenta question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cinder, May 10, 2010.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    My Nigi doe just gave birth to a single doeling! Momma and baby are doing great. :)

The doe expelled the placenta within the first hour after birth... is it possible for her to still have any kids inside? I have been under the impression that once the placenta is expelled there will be no more kids born - meaning they've all been born already. Is that correct? Thus she's only having the single doeling and I don't have to be concerned about another baby still inside?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes if she passes the placenta 98% of the time she is done. There are rare occurances where there is another kid who comes after the placenta but this isnt common though I have had it happen. If she is showign no signs of labor I would presume her done. You can bump her ot check by locking your fingers together and grabbing her belly from below and pushign up - if there is a kid you will feel it. If there isnt one then the belly will just feel squishy.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I couldn't of said it better....Stacey answered that is full...... :thumb:

Congrats on the new baby.... :thumb:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Congratulations on the baby.

Yep Stacey said it, and i was one of the 2% that had a baby still in mom. Matter of facet she was in mom for 20 hours until I pulled her.

Like she said if she is acting normal and not acting like there is more, then all is fine. My problem was I was leaving and I had no idea that she still had one inside. I went to the house to get ready to leave looked out the bedroom door, and she had kidded in the amount of time it took to get to the room, and she had twins so I never thought about another one.