Placenta

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by citylights, Nov 13, 2009.

1. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Hey all, my doe kidded -- all are great... how long would you wait for the placenta to pass? SHe kidded while I was at work ... good mommy! -- Babies are dry. I'd like to see everything pass... Thoughts?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she has up to 24 hours to expel the afterbirth

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep ...Stacey is right on the money... :thumbup:

4. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Okay -- thanks. MIne usually have been through within an hour or two. I'm going out of town tomorrow; I'll have to have a goatie friend check on them.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    has she started to pass it at all? is she showing any distress at all? small pushes? I like to see them deliver it quickly too but not all do.

I would give her some calcium to help her with contractions (tums or calcium pills) so she will expel it faster

6. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Re: Placenta -- Mom and babies doing fine!

Thanks, Stacey, mom passed the rest of the placenta last night -- everyone is up and doing all they should do! Yea! I leave for northern Ca in an hour and a half and wanted to make sure they were ok. Would have worried with just my husband in charge. Still gonna have a friend check on 'em while I'm gone

FOr those of us not on Facebook -- here's my post on MOnday...

"Haw!"I don't know what happened... DOnna and I went out to the Valley to pick up some does she had bred...and suddenly my hand was writing a check for a bred doe, due in 2 weeks, Proverbial Pygmies and Azure Springs lines...look at the brisket and her topline... and we all know how I love body capacity.. she's just a big ol' incubator!" and then today --

"Came home from work last night to find two little babies in the kidding pen... from the doe thatididnotbuy on Monday. Both babies clean, dry, and nursing. Mom obviously needed no assistance and was just finishing up -- isn't THAT what we're breeding for?!?! Yee

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh it was that doe

cool

glad all went well :thumb: