Placing bottle babies in with the herd

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Mar 4, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    This really only pertains to those with bottle babies who have been raised inside and small herds without separate pens or the means to have them. Those with larger acreages have it made.

When you you release them into the rest of the herd? Do you do it by age or by size? Both of my bottle babies are only 2 months old but they are big. If I was to put them in the pen with the older goats would they be OK? I will not just be throwing her to the wolves and would introduce them over several days under supervision. I am going to put a few hiding places out there for them also.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what I did was let them play outside while I was there then bring them in at night. THen I soon left them out there unsupervised during the day and inside at night. Then it was outside penned up in teh kidding stall at night out during the day. It worked out well and the bottle baby learned to be a goat :thumb:

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    When I introduced bottle kids to the herd...I would take the bottle baby into the pen with all the other goats, let them all smell each other, let them get used to each other, etc. take the baby out the first time you do this....do this a day or two later. Then after a few times doing that, start leaving the baby in there by itself for about an hour at a time, then gradually increase hours with time. Eventually, i'd say about 1 or two weeks, you can leave the baby in there. That has worked for me everytime. :wink:

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hey Kylee the above post was your 1500th post :cool:

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thanks for the suggestions. I need to get these 2 out with the other goats to learn to be goats. I also may have a few more coming in. A bottle mama's work never ends.

Congratulations Kylee 1500 is a great accomplishment and shows how much help you are to the rest of us and how proud you are of your goats.

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    YAY!! :clap: I didn't even notice til you said something!! I'm on my way to 2000!!! :wink:

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I just looked and oh my I am on my way to 10,000! :shocked: I talk to much :oops:

8. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    This past summer I was given to lil orphan bucks at 3 days old who's momma had pasted . The gentleman did have time for bottle babies . I had a bunch of new mommas and kids at the time . I would feed the babies and the let them run with the rest. They were 2 weeks younger and a bit smaller in bred but they did fine .I did lock the orphans up at night .The bottle babies learned to be goats from the get go.

9. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    ever since hope was a couple weeks old
    weather permitting of course
    i would take her out with me to do chores
    if i went into the pasture she went with me
    i have left her out to pasture twice now on really nice days and then left
    when i came home (only gone a couple of hours) i would let her out to pasture and she would explode like a bullet out of the gate and not stop until she was on the back porch
    :doh:
    but it is all well and eventually she will be out permanently
    the only thing that is keepingher in the house now are the temps over night
    i'm afraid she would get sick

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I can't put them out right now. Its nothing but sopping wet MUD and they have never been on muddy ground. I know, I am raising a couple goat wusses but theire my babies.

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I just started getting our bottle-baby doe used to being w/ the goats yesterday. I put her in a kidding stall (it is the hog panel-kind, so she can see everyone around her) I also put a couple of our month-old, dam-raised babies w/ her. . . they squeezed out though, somehow. Anyways, I put her and the crate she's been sleeping in, for the day. My does that she is around now are all pretty nice and are definitely used to being around babies. :) Because it's cold, I brought her in at night.

12. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I did the same as Stacey! Only on the nice days I would let them outside to play though but they gradually were moved into the barn and I would take them their bottles.