planning on training for packing...

Discussion in 'Pack and Working Goats' started by CodyMyGoat, Feb 13, 2009.

1. CodyMyGoat

CodyMyGoat New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Washington!
    I have this great buckling with big strong legs, i'm planning on using him for packing, as a kid- is there anything special i should be doing with him?

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    The best thing you can do is spend a lot of time with him so he bonds to you--partial bottle feeding might be good. You could also start getting him used to a collar.

Goats can't really do much heavy packing until they are atleast 2-3 years old, but you can use a soft pack for short periods of time--with no more than about 5-10lbs--starting at about 6 months of age.

3. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    I have a 1 year old wether, Guy, that I have been training.
    This is what I did as far a training:
    * spend a lot time with him. * don't jump on people(Guy sometimes has a lapse of memory on this one when he gets excited) * get use to a collar
    * walking on a leash * being tied out (he never left my sight) * walking in water (goats don't like walking in water and the younger you start this training the easier it will be) * walks (builds strength and bonding) * when big enough put a light weight towel on his back to start with to get him use to something on his back. * keep training sessions short. I did two 15 minute sessions. His attention span has improved it is now 16 minutes. LOL just kidding.

This is what Guy and I are doing now:
    * half hour walks at least 6 times a week. This is not easy when it is cold outside and there is snow or mud to walk in. * play time on the spools
    * walking with a halter on * he now walks with a folded blanket secured on his back with a belt * a few rides in the truck. He likes this because there is always something good to eat.
    I am checking out places that I can take him that he can be around more people. My friend wants me to take him to the senior center so she can show him off. She is 71 and in love with all my goats. By the way I found that my goats will do almost anything for a rasin. I am looking forward to spring when we can start going on hikes.

The most important thing is for you both to have fun.
    Suellen