plannning for fair

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by kritterkeeper, Jan 8, 2009.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    well with 4H meeting starting and looking forward to this years fair- our family had talked last year about taking baby baby to the fair ( Pgymy) the youngest we have taken is 3 mo. but would like to take even younger -

I have Permission from the fair grounds to take them out of the barn at night and keep them next to us in the truck at the camp ground. ( we have the last lot next to the fence in to the campground- The reson for the truck is no livestock in the campground I don't understand how they could think something that small and cute could be called livestock but each to our own)

my question to you is what would the youngest age be that you would take them... I am the 4H leader and with 3 girls and hubby someone is always in the barn and our other 4H parents and kids are great too.. they would be well loved and cared for... but for their Health and safety what age would you say is safe... I was thinking about 3 weeks.. I need to figure this out so I can figure out when to take mom to the buck.

Thank you
    Donna B
    Lone Pine Acres
    Home to 10 very happy goats

2. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    We usually take two babies to the fair each year. They are about 7-8 weeks old. The only problem that we have had is that they are so small (nigerian dwarf) that they fit through the bars of the pens. We have to take mesh to put on the out side of the pen to avoid runaway goaties. The kids attending the fair love the babies they are always the most popular in the barn! I have also found that at least one of them comes home with a cold/sniffles we attribute it to so much handling and exposure to goats other than our own.

3. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    the things you mention we thought of too.. we took 3 mo old pgymys last year and they were able to get out or one could jump so now we have a few pens at the in the fair barn that are pgymy proof... and it is so true that the everyone loves the babies

Donna B

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I haven't gone to fair with our Nigerians. . . . but a friend of mine always brings loads of baby goats to fair. I think the youngest she's taken was 3 weeks old, but she has probably taken even younger, they were dam-raised though, so their mom was with them.

One of the Pygmy shows we went to, we showed our buck and at 6 months old, he squeezed through the fences and visited some other does. I don't think they were in heat (thankfully!) but it was not so good! :roll: Another of our yearling Pygmy does would jump the 4-5 foot fencing! She's very agile, we'll just say that.

I bet everyone would absolutely LOVE to see the babies! If you'll have kids for sale around that time, you'll probably make some great sales too.

5. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    last year we had to put more boards up to make the pen higher our 3 mo old weather could not jump out... they are kept in the pens with the wire on the gate so they can not get out.. we do let them out to run through the barn and everyone children and adults love that...

I bet everyone would absolutely LOVE to see the babies! If you'll have kids for sale around that time, you'll probably make some great sales too.

if she does as she normally does she will have one boy and one girl- I will mostlikely keep the girl and the boy is a birthday present to my sister in laws niece... my sister in law is funny she thought the babies last year were cute but did not really want to get to close to them but her brother is building a house and farm and his little girl wants a goat after seeing pictures of ours so my sister in law is buying her one for her BD....

Donna B