Plant ID, Am I goat friendly?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Oct 5, 2008.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    This yellow flower is growing all over the place. Is it goat friendly. Jacob was tasting it yesterday and seems to have no ill affects but he only ate a little. They seem to pop up overnight and the bees love them. If they are goat friendly I will let them eat them, otherwise DH will have to eradicate them as I am deathly allergic to bees.
    crocee

[​IMG]

2. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    golden rod
    don't know
    fiascofarm.com has a list of plants
    both good and bad

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I looked at fiasco and didn't find it on either list.
    crocee

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It is golden rod...also in abundance here....though with lot's of other vegetation available to my goats, they let it go to seed before they eat it...never any ill effects from it.

5. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    sorry, don't know what to tell you then
    however,
    years ago i was in the process of buying 200+ acre farm on a land contract
    (a year into it the owner sold lock stock and barrel out from under us :angry: :angry: :veryangry: :veryangry: )
    anyway
    i had 30+ goats and i used to let them free range during the day
    never had one get sick and i'm sure there was golden rod growing around in the fall
    (hubby has been a farmer all his life - he says that they can eat it but for the must part they will ignore it)

6. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
  7. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I am about 99.9% sure they can eat it. Out in South Dakota, in the prairies and in 'Indian Country' it is everywere, theres hills upon hills of it, its absolutly beautiful, and whenever you step outside it smells like you stepped into a honey jar. People up there have horses, goats, sheep, and cattle on it all the time. Man I miss those rolling hills.

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
  9. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Ooookay. Maybe i'm not 99.9% sure?

This is a lesson to EVERYONE!

NEVER listen to me!

lol... :oops:

10. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Or maybe I'm thinking of a different yellow flowering smelly thing? The leaves do look different.. Or, maybe that IS why I don't see many goats in SD and theres so much of that stuff - no one eats it?

11. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Look at the photo you sent of the plant in question, and compare it to the photo in the link that was posted. The poisonous plant link is for "rayless" goldenrod. Very different plant. Better safe than sorry to be sure, but might want to save hubby's energy for something else...

12. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    So maybe I'm not wrong? the photos on the site wouldn't load for me, go figure.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The link specified with the "poisonous plants" says that the "golden rod " only grows in the South West......this variety they are saying is poison might just grow there....but I have plenty of "the safe" type here in PA....and my goats have NEVER gotten sick from it. :greengrin: