The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 5 month old boer/La Mancha cross. She had a bout of diarrhea last week and I brushed it off because she sometimes squeezes in to the chicken feeder and it cleared up quickly. This Monday evening I came home to her with diarrhea again, and now we're on day 3. I want to treat it now because she is still up & moving, eating hay & grazing. I know she has not been in to any chicken food.

Unfortunately my fantastic vet ended up under a horse the wrong way and is out of commission so I would have to do a mail-in fecal. She was recently wormed at proper doses with Ivermec and Safeguard because she had moderately pink eyelids (not bright enough for me). None of the other 9 goats in her pen have even a hint of diarrhea.

Is she too old for coccidia? Will it hurt to treat her since I can't get a fecal?

Also, there is this strange plant that just bloomed in their pen - could this be the problem? It's been there before and the goats don't graze it but it's possible she nibbled it.

I included a photo of the cute little bugger.

My plan of action right now (after I hear from you guys) is:
5 cc Dimethox
5 cc Pepto
Vitamin B oral gel
Red Cell depending on how her eyelids look

I read a bunch of the other posts on diarrhea & coccidia so I'm not trying to get you guys to repeat! I'm really hoping it is NOT cocci because I really don't have another pen to move all these goats to!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
59,730 Posts
She is cute. Even adults can get coccidia. So they are never too old for a problem with coccidia.

I'm bad with plants so have no idea. Can you just pull them out roots and all?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
That is jimson weed it is poisonous to most critters and causes halucinations in people. Bad stuff!!! your problem doesnt spund like the neuro toxins of jimson weed goats wont touch it normaly. i would sooner think cocci.

·
Registered
31,418 Posts
I agree..treat for cocci..it wont hurt..pepto is great for drying the bum and soothing the tummy...

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys! I have her Dimethox, RedCell, Pepto, and B Complex last night. This morning I didn't notice much change BUT when I got home from work today - pelletized poo! I was very excited. Still a little sticky and off in color. Soo...

Can Dimethox work that fast or was it not coccidia? Should I still do the five days treatment???

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,019 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
At the risk of looking like a complete fool, that looks like a tomato plant to me. However, scale is an issue.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Before treating for coccidia, I'd have a fecal done to verify, if you can. :0) We had a nightshade problem, the berries look similar but the spines were very prickly. There are many plants in the family, however, so it's not out of the question. It caused the runs in our horses, along with lethargy and difficulty controlling their limbs. Activated charcoal is what helped them.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
It is absolutely jimson weed and yes it is a relative of the tomato, which goats should nt have either. This is the immature jimson weed that will develop spines on the fruit as it matures. My suggestion for it is to pull it wearing gloves, bag it and put it in the landfill. Do not burn it as the smoke will release neurotoxins into the air that are poisonous to all critters including you!!also do not use for compost. Some things need to be erradicated, and jimson weed is one.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! I pulled it roots and all but was wondering what to do with it. I didn't want to burn or compost it. I'll throw it in some plastic grocery bags and put it out with our trash! It does have spikes on the stems I think you just can't seem them well in the photo. And little purple/white flowers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts