The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have googled image but it seems to be nothing matches exactly...Thanks in advance for the help.....the 1st 4 are the same plant...its like a stalk and is fuzzy. The last one is a different tree/bush/vine the berries look like blueberries when ripened.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The top plant the goats love but until I know what it is I'm scared to feed it to them. Both of them are growing behind our fence line and I have been breaking it off so they can't reach them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The top plant the goats love but until I know what it is I'm scared to feed it to them. Both of them are growing behind our fence line and I have been breaking it off so they can't reach them.
Our goats go gaga for the top one as well- you can tell exactly how far they can reach through the fence by how many of those plants are chewed down to nubs (the main stem isn't as tasty apparently). The bottom one is pokeweed and is poisonous- our goats eat it with mixed success. Haven't had any deaths, but it does seem to give them the runs, so we try to eradicate it as best we can. As it matures the main stem turns a very vibrant purple color.

People have varying levels of reactions to it also- doesn't seem to bother me, but my husband will get mild skin irritation if he pulls it up with his bare hands. I'd recommend wearing gloves!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The top plant is Giant Ragweed. Let the goats eat it up.
Yep, Giant Ragweed, for sure. I love this stuff. It is the best plant for quail, but I don't know about goats. I have never seen my goats eat it. At this point they still have too many other options to browse on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts