The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought 3.6 acres of pasture for my goats now I can do pasture rotations!

But there are some strange plants and need help identifying them please

The first two pics are of a tree it has maple like leaves that fold strangely and has some strange little red fruits that look like raspberries.

The other two are of a plant/bush that has strange berries growing on it.

Are these safe for my goats?

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
leafsnap.org or mister smarty plants are apps that you can send a pic of plant, flower, bush or shrub and they will ID it for you

going to try this out

·
1,983 Posts
The first looks to be mulberry(Morus rubra, Moraceae), YUMMMMM. When I lived in an area I had mulberries I would make myself sick eating them.

The other pictures are virginia creeper no doubt about it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
First one with red berries is definetly Mulberries...they should be safe for goats...and people! Our cows love them too.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
I couldn't say. Mulberry doesn't grow in the west nor Virginia Creeper. They could be introduced plants though.

Nava Boer, you're on the west side of the Cascades aren't you?

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Looks like mulberry and Virginia creeper to me. You should look up the species in a field guide and verify it though.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Both mulberry and Virginia creeper are introduced plants that will grow in WA. If that's the proper ID; sorry, I've never had either, nor do I know if they're okay for goats.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Virginia creeper and Mulberry should be fine for goats, However I am not convinced that is what we are looking at in these pics. I agree with GoatHiker Mulberry leaves are fuzzy and shaped differently, at least the ones we have here. And the other thing looks similar to Virginia creeper but then again it is just a *tad* different than the variety we have here. Now this could be a different variety of mulberry and Virginia creeper but I am not sure. Do you have county extension agents where you live? If so I would take a cutting off both plants in to them and see what they think, they should be familiar with local plants especially poisonous ones.

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I couldn't say. Mulberry doesn't grow in the west nor Virginia Creeper. They could be introduced plants though.

Nava Boer, you're on the west side of the Cascades aren't you?
I'm in eastern wa
So east of cascades west of Rockies

But they don't look like mulberries to me the leaf is totally different. Mulberry leaves are rounded with serrated edges. These are like maple

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay so the second one definitely looks like Virginia creeper to me. Maybe previous owner of the land planted it. I can't ask him since he has passed away(RIP) but he was deeply into gardening, canning, self sustainability and do it yourself. There is another plant that I was gonna ask about but forgot to take pictures

Still stumped on the tree though

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
lOOK up logan berry and boysenberry tree and see if it looks like either of those

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tell me about it I just went through a long list of berry trees on the Internet. I didn't even know berries grew on trees before I saw this one!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Oh I love mulberries used to gorge myself on them as a kid, a small one is growing right by where I park my car now, but the leaves are wrong, at least for the variety I have. Not only the fuzziness but they are shaped completely different.
I still say contact a county extension agent if you have them there. They should be able to help you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts