The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have a guava orchard. 3 acres. That my goaties roam.

I'm looking to plant some more healthy pasture type grasses.

What kind of seed do I buy, remember in Hawaii things grow year round, so we don't have a season. I need something that I can just toss out as we don't have a lot of soil here, mostly rocks.

Suggestions?

Warm climate, lots and lots of rain.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i'm not sure about pasture that would work in Hawaii. I've had friends try to grow alfalfa here in Barbados, but it won't grow (too humid i think?). people here grow some type of straw-looking grass that's short for hay......i have no clue what kind of grass it is. i've never seen any other pasture grass used, except those tall grasses that just grow wild. my girls love eating those.

i have to say, my goats LOVE african tulip trees. they eat the leaves, flowers (off the ground), bark...everything. they push each other over to eat it, and the best part about this tree, is it DOESN'T DIE. no lie. you can cut chunks off the tree, lay it down, and a month later it's sprouting again. or have stumps around and just let them eat the stalks. they LOVE it. and like i said before...they don't die.

bananas is also another good one to grow for them. when we harvest a bunch, we cut the top off and they get the leaves. also, when we're trimming them, they get that too. they also love bananas.

i'm not sure if this is the kind of information you're hoping to get....but this is what i've observed living here.....

i'll let you know if i think of anything else they like to eat. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I grew up in Hawaii and the ranch that I went to had this tall broad leaf grass in the pasture for the horses, sort of like a Brome. Wish I knew what it actually was. I would search on the net for warm weather grasses.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
yea.....wish I could tell you that it would be easy for us in the tropics to grow many pasture grass that people in temperate climates can grow.....

HOWEVER, I looked at pasture seeds, and those that I've read/heard that can grow here in Barbados - perennial peanut pasture (peanuts grow like weeds here and my girls love peanut greens), Bermuda grass grows here, and I've seen clover grow here.

Chesawmomma's right, there are various types of broad tall grass that my goats love. no clue the name.... I can take some pictures of some later today if you'd like...

another thing - amaranth!! it again, grows like a weed and self seeds (most people think it's a weed and kills them). you can eat the leaves like spinach (VERY healthy for you), and the seeds can be eaten by you or chickens. very high in protein. it's heat tolerant and drought resistant. when we have it growing, my girls gobble it up.

another heat tolerant grain is millet.... I've never grown it or fed it to my girls so not sure if they'll like it, but one grain grew once when the chickens didn't eat the seed and it just sprouted (it's the bird seed kinds...so not a real seed that was grown). it didn't get very tall, but it did go to seed.

ok, i'll stop my rambling.... will keep a look out for other things that grow rampantly that would work for pasture.

sort of off-topic - do you guys have neem trees in Hawaii? I read in India they use it for natural parasite control, and the trees grow really quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts