Playground ideas!

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by Kfin, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    We have recently purchased three goats, they are all Lamanchas, and we are wanting to build a playground for them. Something fun looking and that they can have a ton of fun on. I have seen the spools of wire and stuff but for one have no idea where to get them, and I really want soemthing bigger with more levels.

Anyhow what do you use for playgrounds? I am looking for good ideas for these girls. We are having a blast with them and I just bought them a big ball to play with, but I know they have a climbing instinct and want to let them have their fun.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have a dirt pile, a sliding board with a platform for lounging and a tractor trailer tire half buried in the ground for stabilty...my girls and babies love jumping on it as well as launching off of it...the hole is also perfect for them to go through and scratch themselves.

Attached Files:

• 019.JPG
      019.JPG
      File size:
      67.1 KB
      Views:

3. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Mine have two big stumps to jump on/stand on and a rock pile with tires around it. They love all of them...a platform might be a good add though...Thanks Liz!

4. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    We have some tree stumps from a lumber yard down the road, and old concrete steps that were torn off of a porch. We will be adding concrete slabs from a driveway also.... I'm thinking it has to help wear the hooves down a little bit!

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Our goats have leftover childrens outdoor toys; including a little girls castle, a play gym with a slide and a tall slide. They also have tires, 2 dog houses, wire spools and an old table.

In the new enclosure for the barn, we'll have a slew of boulders and leftover cinder blocks as well.
    You can use just about anything for goats :)

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    There are a few spools in the bigger pens for mine, though mostly they just hang out near the feeders :doh:

7. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    You can get spools from the power company or electrical installer. You can get old wooden stairs from moble home places. They love them. :)

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    old coffee tables that you can buy on craigslist. Kids love to sleep under them, adults love to sleep on top.

9. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    We have clusters of different sized cable spools that I use as training stations for my goats. They like to jump around on them in addition to doing tricks for treats on cue. We got the spools free of charge from an electric supply shop. Then we have some Little Tike's playground equipment: the climbing cube w/slide, a free-standing slide, a playhouse and a princess bed - all purchased used but in excellent condition at a fraction of the cost of new. I recently added an X-large dog Igloo that the mini goaties like to mount and balance on. I turned a large galvanized wash tub upside down and all the goats like to jump and balance on that, too. Likewise, they take turns laying inside an empty stock tank and for some reason seem to find that amusing. We converted a 6X8X8 turkey coop into a two-story loft as another playhouse and shelter for the mini goats. And last but not least, my goats play with dog squeaker toys and balls. :p

Deb Mc

10. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Deb I remember your post about your goats playing w/ squeakie toys: I'm still amazed!

11. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    It all started w/Katie the Queen but turned infectious! Now all my goats play with dog toys. Sadly, I'm having to rehome the 3 Angoras :( ; all their squeaker toys and balls are going with them. The standard doeling preceded the others and is already at their new home and guess what? Her very first day there, she taught her new goat pal to play with dog toys, too. It just tickles me to see goaties playing with dog toys.

12. Zero

Zero New Member

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    how do you set a tire up in the ground and keep it from falling over when the goats get on it?

13. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    I have 3 tractor tires stacked on thier sides not straight on top but lopsided and the goats jsut love them, they great for rubbing oon jumping on and playing king of the tire pile on.

14. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I thought about making a playground area too, but my goats entertain themselves pretty easy. We have a large stack of firewood <2 rows wide>, and they LOVE it. I pulled a huge unsplit piece from the side of it today, and it rocks back and forth, the 3 kids were playing on it soooo much this morning, they all went into the shelter to nap HAHA! :)
    We also have large tree trunks from trees that my husband has cut down that the kids love to play on.
    And...the goat kids have taken interest in my old muck bucket, which is just a regular tall bucket....they knock it over and climb inside of it!
    One of our does isn't entertained unless we are out there. We are her entertainment!

15. Zero

Zero New Member

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    Gah where would I find one. We do have a tractor out there and they love it...its shot and not going any where any time soon.

though where can I find a cheap tire that size

16. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    We have a two level platform so far that when the babies were smaller they would lay underneath in the shade. It's made out of pallet wood and free pieces we got at a trailer place nearby. The plan is to build a third level that is higher than first two.

I also have a stump of tree we pulled out that is roughly 3+ feet long - trimmed all the small branches and put that in the pen.

Love the tires! Hmmmmm... might have to start checking out the tractor places and farms for a couple of those...

17. Zero

Zero New Member

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    can I see your plat form and get a idea please :)
    I have been dieing for a new idea for them. I think the kids are getting board with the old jumping stuff

18. glenolam

glenolam New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Canterbury, CT
    I have a balance beam I made with 2 stumps the same height and a 2x4 - just nailed the 2x4 to the top of the stumps and viola! I also put 3 stumps of different heights in a line so they can do king of the moutain and have some littly tykes kid toys (like a castle climber and slide cube) to play in/on.

19. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    The platform is nothing fancy and not quite complete yet. The first level is barely 6" off the ground and the second 12" off the ground. The babies are too big now to get under the second level. We are planning a third level with a ramp coming off the back end.

You can see some pix in our goat album on FB:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 31dfcc34c9

We haven't done much work as we have been working on a lean to for the buck pen until we can build/buy shed for them this winter.

Amika
    Mon Reve Farm - Lower Slower Delaware

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The truck tire I have was given to me by a friend who drives semi...2 actually, haven;t got the other to the buck pen yet.
    The one for the does is buried in the ground, up to the rim of the tire center...hubby drilled holes into it so it wouldn't hold water then filled it with pea gravel and back spaded the dirt around and in it...hasn't moved in the 2 years since it was first put in.