The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had goats now for 38 years. All breeds of dairy plus Boers and Pygmy.

For the first time ever, I had 3 bucklings born with only 1 teste down. 2 were twins and the 3rd from an unrelated doe. All purebred Nubians, not that that matters.

New buck, this is his first crop. 10 bucklings in this years crop, but only 17 testicles.

The doe who had the twins has had 8 years of kiddings and always had bucks with twin testes. the other doe is on year 5. So, they are both older.

Now causes:
Older doe genes?
Always the buck?
Dominant or recessive genes?
Nutritional issues?
Mutations?

I have done a bunch of reading, but I just want to get other opinions and experiences before I contact the breeder for her input.

Reactions: SalteyLove

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
Roundup, GMO grains, these are the easiest deformation to get, besides extra teats. What is really fun about the withheld testes is that there's usually 3 to 5 of the darn things up there.
Reason why that wether always acts like a buck lol

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I am very sorry to hear that!
I agree with the above, it was the new buck.
I would not use any of his kids for breeding. And if you plan on selling them, I would sell them stricly as pets or meat. I will tell you why.
In my situation I started out with 4 goats. A brother and sister from farm A, a buckling from farm B and doe from farm C. So we had two pairs, since siblings wouldn’t be bred to each other.
First kidding (buck from farm A with doe from farm C) resulted in 2 bucklings, one of them cryptorchid.
We didn’t know if it came through dam or sire. We thought, hopefully this was a fluke....
Second year, buck from farm B with doe from farm A, made one buckling, cryptorchid.
So, to us it is obvious that the siblings from farm A have the gene.
The breeder from farm A said she has never seen this in her herd. Whether or not she told the truth, she did breed goats with that gene, passing it on to the ones I bought from her.
Neither of the goats from farm A showed any signs that they carry this. But is seems pretty clear, that both sexes can carry the gene.

And we don’t feed GMO grains. Local organic grains only.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Roundup, GMO grains, these are the easiest deformation to get, besides extra teats. What is really fun about the withheld testes is that there's usually 3 to 5 of the darn things up there.
Reason why that wether always acts like a buck lol
I had not heard that they can have multiple testes up there?!?!?
That would certainly explain my surgically castrated crypt's buckishness.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been a bad year here. I paid big bucks and waited a year for 2 specific Nigerians doe from a superior herd. I got them home at weaning and waited until they were old enough to kid at 25 months. ! never settled, which is probably my fault for not keeping an eye on heat cycles, as I was working massive overtime at work. I'll just breed her this fall.

The second one, the better of the two by a tiny bit, kidded with triplets! I was going to keep one of her bucklings as a backup for my senior buck, as he is getting older and I can never, ever replace him. As I was doing the birth check- counting toes and fingers (LOL) I discovered that both doelings and the buckling had multiple teats. I was crushed. Then, as I was hooking the kids up to mom to make sure they were getting their colostrum, I noticed that mom had an extra that I missed up to that point. Dreams gone. The breeder of this doe has been doing this for years. Big money kids, long wait list, show wins up the wazoo. I contacted her and explained what happened. She was shocked, and yes, I believe her. She refunded the money I paid for the doe, and I will just keep the doe to look at because she is so beautiful. And to remind me to ALWAYS check for 2 teats.

The breeder is all natural everything. Organic feed, absolutely no pesticides, no roundup or any lawn chemicals as she has medical issues that those could kill her.

Now, I'm going to have to find the money to replace my Nubian buck, that is so perfect for my herd, except for his teste issue. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
@lottsagoats1
I had a yearling doe that had 3 teats kid this year. She was born on my property, but somehow it was missed until she started developing an udder close to her due date. Fortunately the twin does only had two teats, but we sold dam and both kids.
I then hastily checked all my keeper kids. Definitely something we will be sure to check for from now on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts