The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Dwight - very good info, I can tell you have had to deal with some ornery goats! This girl however is pretty well behaved (I had actually been doing what Dave suggested -also very good advise!). This girl stands still for me, but I guess the issue is she won't let down her milk for me, even though she's got a nice full udder and I give her an udder massage and a few "kid bumps." She's just like, "Nope, you aint gettin any." Not misbehaving, just not turning on the flow. I even put her kids on the stanchion with her , didn't work. I am off work this Thurs, Fri & Sat & I'm gonna separate her from the kids at night and see if she's more willing to let me milk her in the a.m. Her kids will be almost 3 weeks by then.

I milked a goat last year but she was 4 years old and much easier to get milk out of, but that doe wont be kidding for probably another month.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
some does just have what is called a meaty udder. Meaning its full of tissue and not alot of empty space for milk. Now as the milking season goes on she will expand but will most likely not produce as much as she could otherwise. At goat shows, when all the grand champions / best of breeds get together for best in show, one of the requirements is to have them milked out. This way the judge can see the actually capacity of the udder and its often the winning factor.

There are issues like mastitis that can cause problems like this as well.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts