The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is a FF, just turned a year old in June. She is hard to keep weight on too. Always looks too hippy for me. Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Might help if I attach picture huh? :)

How do you do that on a mobile device? I'm using the goat spot app. Thanks

·
2,203 Posts
Few questions:

How far along in lactation?
What breed?
How many hours is she sitting with?
Single or twins?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She kidded a single on June 8th. She is 1/2 Saanen, 1/2 Lamancha. Not sure what you mean by how long she is sitting? I only milk in morning and rest of the day she is in with her kid and rest of herd. She was bred at 7 months on accident, I was going to wait but buck had other plans.

·
2,203 Posts
She kidded a single on June 8th. She is 1/2 Saanen, 1/2 Lamancha. Not sure what you mean by how long she is sitting? I only milk in morning and rest of the day she is in with her kid and rest of herd. She was bred at 7 months on accident, I was going to wait but buck had other plans.
I mean how many hours are on her udder?

·
2,203 Posts
For a yearling FF she looks good. Nice rear attachment, wide, tight. Teat placement is good, however a little winged out. Teat size is good. I fear with higher lactations she may strut a little too far, but time will tell. I've seen it go both ways. Nice defined medial. How's her fore udder? Smooth and tight? The skin appears to be nice and tight, suggesting she has a nice fore udder but can't be sure without pics.

With "boniness" don't be overly concerned. Dairy goats are to look clean, lean, dairy, and angular. All of which are a touch on the thin side. You don't want a fat cover over a lactating doe, that just means she's improperly converting her feed, aka not being profitable.

·
2,203 Posts
How many hours was she separate from her kid
when I took the picture? About 9 hrs.
She looks good for sitting with 9 hours in her. I'd love to see a show fill on her! Good luck in future lactations! Looks to be an udder packed with longevity.

·
2,203 Posts
No I don't think so! My doe Cotton has a hard time keeping weight on while she milks. She literally milks everything off. You doe looks to be in good condition, I like to see the shoulder muscle there, the sharpness over the top, depth of body, width of barrel suggesting she's plenty healthy and eating enough. She's just busy being mom and shedding some dry fat. :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I'll have to post pics of my other two does to see what you think.
How long should you let udder fill? Her baby is 1/2 Nubian and screams her head off every morning until I put mom in. Very annoying. My other goats are so quiet.

·
2,203 Posts
Thanks! I'll have to post pics of my other two does to see what you think.
How long should you let udder fill? Her baby is 1/2 Nubian and screams her head off every morning until I put mom in. Very annoying. My other goats are so quiet.
Lol they'll do that anyway! Baby will be ok for between 8-10 hours. I push it and go 12/12 if I dam raise. There's no need to fill it, I was just simply saying it sure would look nice filled out! :)

That's a Nub for you! Very highly vocal!

And bring on the pics!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, got pics of my other two..

This one is also FF (they all are). She is 1 1/2 years old and kidded single birth May 20. She is full Saanen. I hand milk her because she has such large teats and it only takes me less than a minute to milk her.
My barn is kind of dark at 6:30 in the morning so hopefully pics are ok.

image-2535167791.jpg

image-731464832.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is my favorite doe, she is full Lamancha also a FF. 1 1/2 years old, kidded a single on June 8th. She gives the most milk out of my 3 and is my sweetest. All of them have had ~9 hours to fill udder in pic. Her pic was harder to take with her black color so I took one with flash and without.

image-130027559.jpg

image-2986801694.jpg

image-4289227980.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
With "boniness" don't be overly concerned. Dairy goats are to look clean, lean, dairy, and angular. All of which are a touch on the thin side. You don't want a fat cover over a lactating doe, that just means she's improperly converting her feed, aka not being profitable.
I wish some one would notify the Nigerian judges of this. They seem to like fat little does around here. We like ours to be dairy type, so it's a little hard to tell our 4-H ers one thing, and then have the judges pick does bordering on obese. I know our dairy does are much more productive than the ones that are winning.
But back to the subject, I like your black doe, both does wing out a little more than i like , but the black one looks like she is easier to milk.

·
2,203 Posts
On the Saanen I like teat shape and size, hangs nice. Good medial, could be higher and wider in the rear attachment.

·
2,203 Posts
Your lamancha looks nice. I don't really like the shape of her udder from the rear view (pear shaped), but it does look like she'd look much nicer with a full fill. I don't think this pic does her justice (no offense, only compliments on the doe!). Really appreciate her medial and fore attachment. Could be a bit more snug up front, but everybody prefers a welded udder.

I also appreciate her rear udder height, but would like to see a touch more bloom for width.

·
2,203 Posts
I wish some one would notify the Nigerian judges of this. They seem to like fat little does around here. We like ours to be dairy type, so it's a little hard to tell our 4-H ers one thing, and then have the judges pick does bordering on obese. I know our dairy does are much more productive than the ones that are winning.
But back to the subject, I like your black doe, both does wing out a little more than i like , but the black one looks like she is easier to milk.
Need to remember though too, Nigerians were not originally a milk breed. They were for meat. I'm sure judging a dual purpose breed they have a tendency to judge more like the "beef" breeds. Have you tried taking your ladies to a specialty show?

ETA-I'd also be curious to know if those judges are more biased to Pygmy or the meat goats. Doesn't sound like you've had a fair judge for your dairy emphasis ladies. I still recommend trying bigger and more specific show at least once.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts