The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mocha was my first buck, that I got in September along with a couple does. I have him bred to 3 of my girls. I'd like to know what people thoughts on him are. I'm wondering if he's show worthy and how much I can loosely value the kids at based on his conformation.

I'm also curious as to whether anyone thinks the doe in the third pic (Pauline) and the one in the 4th (Dolce) seem show worthy.

Sorry if they're not set really well. I'm still learning.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
He's a cute little guy, but doesn't have very good conformation. He's very short bodied, with an extremely short neck. I'm seeing very posty rear legs, weak pasterns, and crooked front legs. He is not near show quality, in my opinion. You'll get some cute kids from him, but you may just end up with pet quality type kids. If he's got decent udders behind him, then possibly you'll get some decent home milker kids from him.

The does are nicer. The chocolate one might be show quality depending on her udder. The spotted one doesn't look as nice, but if she has a nice udder, she might do okay in the show ring.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! My mom really wanted us to show him and get him out next year, but I'm glad I asked first. He does have good milking lines behind him but obviously the conformation isn't there. I'll just advertise the kids as home milkers then unless by some miracle he throws magically amazing kids. I was thinking about selling him next year anyway due to the fact I have my other 2 fancier bucklings now.

Pauline does have a really nice udder. Sadly I wasn't wise enough to take pictures when she was in milk.

Dolce will be freshening for the first time this year. She's kind of on my spring cut list and your assessment kind of just confirmed that decision. I asked someone in my area about her and they just said she was steep but would flatten out..

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking now, I'll just sell that buck then and get another with better conformation and possibly not even wait till spring. The doe I was going to probably sell anyway so I could get does with different lines.

Lastly, anyone have any thoughts on this doe? I'm on the fence about her too.

I have such a long way to go learning about conformation and making breeding decisions. I guess I'm not doing bad for first year though.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,576 Posts
Well, here it goes

Pros:
Good blending throughout
Straight front legs
Nice angulation in the rear legs
Strong topline
Strength in chine
Nice depth
Nice lean dairy looking neck
Feminine and dairy
Correct bite
Decent length of body
Good spring of rib
Long rump

Cons:
Steep rump
Weak pasterns
Toes out a bit
Lacks brisket
Could use more width

I like her, I actually like her better than the other two, besides her steep rump. I think she's really nice for your first year.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like her, I actually like her better than the other two, besides her steep rump. I think she's really nice for your first year.
Thanks! and thank you for the in depth critique. :) Hopefully she'll have a nice udder. As long as she doesn't come back into heat she'll have kids out of a buck with better genetics than that one and freshen for the first time in
April.

They buck is cute
Thank you! He is really a sweet guy.

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
961 Posts
The buck is cute but he has horrid conformation. I love how fuzzy he is, though! One of the awesome things about Nigerians is their fuzziness. I like Pauline just a bit more than the third one, and Dolce, being an FF, is okay. Pauline would be a pretty show girl, but like Kylee said, it's really about the udder in this case, and same goes for the third goat.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The buck is cute but he has horrid conformation. I love how fuzzy he is, though! One of the awesome things about Nigerians is their fuzziness. I like Pauline just a bit more than the third one, and Dolce, being an FF, is okay. Pauline would be a pretty show girl, but like Kylee said, it's really about the udder in this case, and same goes for the third goat.
He is super fuzzy! lol Well on the bright side I only bred him to Dolce and her mother and one other doe. And the three of them with their not so superb conformation I was thinking about sell the kids as home milkers and pets anyway. Next year I just need to make sure I breed better.

Pauline has quite a few milking stars in her lines and also has a decent pedigree. I'm hoping she'll have a really nice udder. Last year by the time I got her she had dropped in production.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts