The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These girls were born Nov 2012 - I was VERY new to goats, breeding and just wanted milk originally - but now im into showing and have actually got into this much deeper - what do you think of these girls? any pro's? When I look at them - I like length - both lacking brisket?? the buckskin nicer than the cream?? anyway - would like some more technical answers, hoping they will mature more and have more depth and more of a wedge shape then??

Attachments

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Very pretty girls! I'm an amateur myself, just learning about conf, but I'll give it a shot. ;)I think your right about the buckskin being better. She has more length, flatter rump, and doesn't seem to toe out like the other one does. She also has a longer neck, her legs are nice and straight and she's very smoothly blended all over. They both could definately use more brisket, maybe a little more body capacity. The first onoe has nice strong looking pasterns; I cant see the buckskin's feet, so I can't tell but I think they both look great!
I really am just learning, I'm sure someone more experience will give you a better opinion! :D

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thank you for giving it a shot though!! Im still learning the terminology as well as proper conformation - learned a lot by watching linear appraisals this year.. now i like to see what everyone see's compared to me. I was going to have these girls freshen then decide on who to keep - I have both there moms as well - the cream one's mom has a poor udder but pretty nice body - but I was just comparing these guys to my newest doe who is little over a year and they aren't nearly as nice, hoping these guys will mature more.

Very pretty girls! I'm an amateur myself, just learning about conf, but I'll give it a shot. ;)I think your right about the buckskin being better. She has more length, flatter rump, and doesn't seem to toe out like the other one does. She also has a longer neck, her legs are nice and straight and she's very smoothly blended all over. They both could definately use more brisket, maybe a little more body capacity. The first onoe has nice strong looking pasterns; I cant see the buckskin's feet, so I can't tell but I think they both look great!
I really am just learning, I'm sure someone more experience will give you a better opinion! :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'm also learning about conformation, but I basically echo what ndlover says. In my books, the buckskin wins. Yes, she could use more brisket, but from what I can see the rest of her looks so good that I'd just find a briskety buck for her boyfriend. The buckskin is longer necked, smoothly blended, and elegant; with better teat placement and direction I believe as well. I think the wedge shape might develop a bit as they mature? So very new to goats!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I'm new to this as well but I personally like the buckskin one better. They are both really nice does and I'm no expert but here's what I see:
Buckskin:
Pros:
Longer leveler rump
She has a nice chine
Her top line is straight not curvy
She has nice body capacity
I really like where her teats are placed
Nice and dairy looking

Cons:
It would be nice if she was a little more up hill instead of her rump and withers being almost level with each other
She could use some more brisket

Cream:
Pros:
She has long legs
Her chine looks okay
Her topline isn't wavy
Cons:
She needs more brisket
She needs to be more up hill ( so he withers are higher than her hips)
Her legs toe out a little
She has a short steep rump
I would like better teat placement on her but that's only if you want to be super picky
Other than that they are two nice looking does!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Between the two I definitely like the Buckskin. However I think the cream would look better either with a longer neck or shorter body...the current combination of the two just makes her look un-proportioned. She does have a lot of other good qualities but that fact is what I noticed right off the bat...mostly makes me think she needs a longer neck.

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YES! longer neck for sure!! I have noticed the neck since she was a baby! Was almost going to sell her, but then decided to hang onto her to see if her udder is an improvement over her dams and if she has larger teats. I also kept her because as I watched her mature she seems pretty nice still, except that neck, but have always thought the buckskin was nicer for sure, hanging onto that buckskin to see how her udder/teats develop - she looks just like her mom =) needing to prove there sire though

·
2,203 Posts
I actually prefer the depth of rib on the cream over the buckskin. Both need brisket. Both toe out. Nice toplines. Cream weaker in the rump area. Really like the incurving clean thighs on the buckskin. Great teat placement. Cream's teat wing out. Both put together really well, and man would I like to combine them and throw some brisket in the mix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts