Please evaluate my Nigerian Dwarf bucks - NEW PICS!

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by maple hill farm tina, Apr 11, 2010.

1. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Would those of you who raise and show Nigerian Dwarf goats please take a look at my two bucks? I know they're both pretty hairy - it's not quite warm enough to clip yet here (we usually still get a couple of major freezes at the end of April). I think they're pretty awesome, but please let me know what you think. Thank you, everyone. I appreciate it.
    -Tina

Attached Files:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Please evaluate my Nigerian Dwarf bucks

its really doing them no justice if we evaluate them on those pictures -- you will be best to wait till they are at least in a "show stance" instead of walking or stretched out.

3. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia

As I am a total "newbie," Stacey, can you explain what you mean?
    Thanks!
    -Tina

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

well you can evaluate a goat properly by using such pictures. They dont look right and you dont know how they stand if their legs are straight or bowed or hocked or whatever. You cant tell if they are really level or going "up hill" unless they are standing properly with their heads up. The one picture the buck is on the move but twisted so that totally makes him not look right, you cant see his length or his body structure and he looks terribly steep in the rump, his back legs look terrible and you cant see if he is down in his pasturns or if he is toeing out or not. . THe other picture the buck is leaning on/towards your daughter so it makes him look like is toeing out (maybe he does but for me to evaluate him saying he toes out wouldnt be fair as it could be because he is leaning).

5. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia

So, I need to:
    1. Get them out of the grass
    2. Get them on level ground
    3. Get their heads up
    4. Pose them (as best I can) like I see in the dairy goat/homesteading magazines

Right?
    Okay, maybe I'll come back to that next weekend...
    :wink:

-Tina

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

at least getting them out of the grass and standing still would be best -- if you want to get them stacked then that would be great too but not always easy to accomplish

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

good advice, :)

8. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon

Maybe you could also clip the ridge they tend to get on their backs, because it can distort the topline. That way we can see exactly where the back, rump, etc. is. Your second boy has a rather large one.

9. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia

Thanks, that's all really good advice. When I get a get a minute this weekend (I teach middle school during the week), I'll take some time to get them ready for a proper evaluation. It's almost time for Spring haircuts anyway. And Bailey is definitely a hairy beast. :p He's SUCH a sweetie, though. If Ruthie (my "goatie girl" daughter) is sitting down on the rocks in the boys' pasture, Bailey will come up to her, lie down beside her, and lay his head on her shoulder. He passes that ultra-sweet temperment on to his kids, too. The two we have from him are both ultra-friendly, as well. If it's not too much to ask, please check back this weekend to see if I've done a better job.
    Thanks!
    -Tina

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I love sweet tempered bucks. My buck from Cornerstone farm is an absolute doll!

11. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008

Tina, who are the parents of these bucks?

12. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia

Hi, mnspinner,
    Bailey's sire was Timberwood Malachite, and his dam was SpringsRun MM Catori.
    Marmot's sire was Enchanted Hill Toby, and his dam was Enchanted Hill Field Mouse. We paid A LOT of these guys (more than $300 each), and their pedigrees look really good, I just wanted to check confirmation with some people with more experience. I understand completely what Stacey was saying about the photos. I meant to get better ones this weekend, but we ended up spending the entire weekend re-fencing where the spring rains knocked out some of our electric lines. That definitely took priority. Hopefully, this weekend I'll be able to get some photos that actually show these guys off as the great goats they really are.
    Thanks for the question, BTW,
    -Tina

13. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

I can't tell you to much from the photos. Stacey gave some good advice for getting some better photos of them. They do look like they could use a good deworming though. Cute boys.

14. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia

They've been dewormed recently (like in the last three weeks) with Safeguard (oral).
    Please don't think I'm being disrespectful because I ask A LOT of questions. I'm trying to learn everything I can. What makes you think they need to be dewormed again?
    -Tina

15. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Re: Please evaluate my Nigerian Dwarf bucks - NEW PICS

Okay, so let's see if these pics are any better. I only did Bailey so far because, truthfully, after bathing him (WOW! That was a battle) and shaving him (Not too bad, did I do it right???), I'm ready for a nap. :wink:

The biggest surprise was that he's got all sorts of spots under all that hair (tan spots on a cream background wouldn't be considered moon spots, though, right?)

So, did I do a better job this time?

-Tina

Attached Files:

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Much better. :)

The second photo his topline looks nice and level but he is stretched out quite a bit more and he is on a hill? The first photo he looks roached over the chine. Long body and looks like good dairy character, shoulders too.

17. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Thanks, Olivia,
    Yeah, I should have brought him down to the driveway or the front yard (the only two places NOT on a hill - we are, after all, in West Virginia...) At least I faced him up the hill. :wink: He is a little roached over the chine. And that's something that gets worse, not better, with age, right? How major of a flaw is that? Is it genetic? What about the spots? They look like the spots on one of those German shorthair hunting dogs, but they were completely covered by the massive amounts of hair on him. I like the description of very dairy - that's due to a more refined than stocky look, right? He's definitely a keeper, I think. We :love: him...
    Thanks, again, for taking a look.
    -Tina

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow...you did a great job with cleaning Bailey up!

He does look long and dairy, I'd like to see his legs a tad longer but thats just me...I like the lean leggy nigies :greengrin: Still fairly new to the breed standards of an awesome nigi but I like him.
    The 2nd pic was really good....seems that the boys tend to look better when they stretch to pee :wink:

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    A roached chine can improve slightly with age. It's a little more commonly seen in does who carry kids (the weight of the kids adds more depth to the barrel, pulling it down just a little). Bucks it is not seen as often in since they do not carry kids. A dip in the chine is what gets worse with age. (Got this from a dairy goat conformation book - not making it up. ;) )

Yep, dairy character is overall refinement - you can tell they're a dairy goat and not a Pygmy. :)

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Much nicer Tina - I think you have a nice buck there :)