The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a pygmy doe named Twin who developed an abcess on her cheek about 3 weeks ago. I was hoping it would aliviate its self but it hasnt. I have had a doe with CL on the property but never had an abcess burst on the property. Based on what the lump feels like, I really dont think its CL and this doe tested negative for CL last year. Today she seemed a little listless, Im going down to see if I can feel a splinter or scrape as well as to get a temp for ya'll. Short of lancing the lump, what can I do? SHe also has one lump on her side (about midway across and al the way ast the bottom) this one seems to get bigger as she gets pregnant. Do you guys think the 2 are related? THis doe also seems abnormally skinny even though she grazes all day. She seperated herself today for about a half hour and laid alone. She would pick her head up, then lay it down flat like a dog then do it again. Then she went right back to grazing with the others. Any help is greatly appreciated!

CJ

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: My best breeding doe has an abcess! I dont think CL though

Temp was 101.5. And she looked a lot better and was acting better. She doesnt seem as thin but still thinner than I would like. She ate some grain and corn and is more alert. I pryed her mouth open and I could see some green and red and white stuff inside. I wasnt able to look long enough to deterimine if it was cud or something else. I really think its just an abcess from a splint or thorn or something. I wanted to get your guy's opinions before I acted. Should I start her on antibiotics even though she doesnt have a fever?

I also took a look at the other bump on her side and it is very very small and I have a feeling its more like a hernia than a lump/abcess. That would explain why it gets bigger when she gets pregnant.

CJ

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Maybe an infected saliva duct or a splinter- hopefully not an infected tooth. If you can hold her still long enough a warm, moist compress on her cheek for 15-20 minutes would be comforting and help it come to a head.
Doesn't sound like CL to me either. Cl abscesses never got smaller for me.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I had a doe with an abcess on her cheek before. She LOVED to rub on things and we believe it came from a splinter. Lancing it proved to be difficult because of the location but we were able to accomplish it (my mom and I).

Ridding the body of the offending agent would be a good idea but make sure you get the core of it out or it will just continue to fester and abcess again. Flush the abcess out with some peroxide.

If you can try and get the gunk tested as it will give you a more accurate reading on if she does have CL or not.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had the same thing happen to a 4 week old buckling last year. The abscess was the size of a softball. It grew over night, no lie. Vet said he never seen one so big before. He lanced it, cultured it and put him on antibotics. It was not CL either, took forever for the thing to heal though. I flushed it twice a day for like two weeks. Thank god he was a growing boy cause I thought he'd never grow back into that stretched skin if he was a adult.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This abcess seems to be a bit smaller ut has not gone away or come to a "head" she is not losing hair on it or anything like that. Would giving her some La 200 help at all?

CJ

·
Registered
141 Posts
As long as she is eating and no temp I would not treat it. Sometimes antibotics if not the right one can be counter productive and slow down the healing process. My boy had to be lanced cause it was dangerously big. Vet was very concerned with interference to the main vein. You could get some ichthamol if you'd like at the local feed store to apply over the abscess and try to draw it out after a hot compress of course. I hate the stuff though. Very messy but a great drawing agent. Shaving the area would be a wise choice before though.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Antibiotics after an abscess bursts can be a good thing but before, it can cause it to stop growing but it does not resolve the cause of the abscess. It may not heal- just start growing again when the antibiotics stop. Unless there is something reallybad going on, I would usually encourage it to come to a head so it can be cleaned out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has been a month and the abcess still has not come to a head. no hair has falled out or antyhing.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
But it is getting smaller? If so, then it may just disappear without ever opening. I have had that happen but mostly if it has something in it, it will work its way out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today it looked a whole lot better but it seems to go back and forth. One day it will look really good and flat and the next it will be big. I guess we will just have to wait and see.......

CJ

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Did it ooze or drain at all?
A friends goat had a abbess that we watch grow over a few weeks. It just got bigger all the time, then it stopped growing. I took a scalpel out to him, washed the area really well with a Iodines scrub, and I put a small slit in the lump, and I squeezed out this greenish yellow THICK NASTY gunk. It filled the palm of my hand twice (I had a towel I had in my hand, not my dare hand). But I got all the stuff out and it went away. I guessed it was a piece of weed, hay or sticker that just got a infection. He was fine.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There has not been any drainage...unless its draining inside her mouth. I looked at the inside of her mouth and she has like ripples on the inside of her cheek. You know when a person bites their cheek over and over, it gets ripply? It looked like that but was all over her mouth, not just on the one side. I could see greenisd and white liquid but it may have been cud and other stuff. SHe is eating and acting right now.

CJ

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
She could have bitten the inside of her cheek and a bit of food/cud could have gotten into it, causing the abcess, and if the swelling also extends into her mouth she could be hitting it with a tooth, thats why you see it growing and shrinking, each time it gets bigger she's hitting it with her tooth therefore lancing it on the inside....just a possibility. It may be best for you to lance it on the outside when you see it get big again or it will just keep reaccurring. :shrug:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts