The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 4 yr old Nigerian female goat,not bred,dewormed at the end of October,still urinating,temp is 101.4 last night and is acting as if she is bloated.We had a snow storm here in Minnesota that lasted until yesterday afternoon. I was checking my two goats when my senior horse was fed,everyone was totally fine until last evening. She didn't look herself at all,she wouldn't look at me,she was grinding her teeth,laying down,getting up,kicking her stomach and just sounded like she was in pain. I did 1/4 of olive oil,massaged her left side of her rumen and had her walk around. No change after that..so we called a vet he was stumped too,he did a bloat treatment plus pain meds. By 11 pm she was looking better nibbling hay but,not chowing down. This morning she looked at me like she does but,still looks the same. She acts weak,just doesn't look like she should.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
I have a 4 yr old Nigerian female goat,not bred,dewormed at the end of October,still urinating,temp is 101.4 last night and is acting as if she is bloated.We had a snow storm here in Minnesota that lasted until yesterday afternoon. I was checking my two goats when my senior horse was fed,everyone was totally fine until last evening. She didn't look herself at all,she wouldn't look at me,she was grinding her teeth,laying down,getting up,kicking her stomach and just sounded like she was in pain. I did 1/4 of olive oil,massaged her left side of her rumen and had her walk around. No change after that..so we called a vet he was stumped too,he did a bloat treatment plus pain meds. By 11 pm she was looking better nibbling hay but,not chowing down. This morning she looked at me like she does but,still looks the same. She acts weak,just doesn't look like she should.
Flat dark beer might help. If you nuke it for a bit then let it cool it makes it flat quicker.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Re-check the rectal temperature.

When you get her up and standing, is she steady on her feet?
How is her poop?

And if you massage the left side of her abdomen very firmly behind the ribs - does she burp? Can you hear any rumen noises/gurgling? Have you seen her chew cud.

I would give an injection of B-complex and another dose of Banamine.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Much better!I'm still not sure what the heck happened.She was looking pretty bad Sunday night..I thought she was dying!It was so unlike her to not look at me.She started pooping again Monday,burping,gut sounds,moving around more,nibbling hay,shivering but,not much else...her temp stayed at 101.4. Last night I put her in a warmer spot,did a round of dewormer because her lids weren't as pink as I wanted.This morning I did a probio,she was still shivering,burping,gut sounds still sounded great,I let her out once the sun came up and she was more than happy to come out. I came home from work and she looked fantastic(dance) She was looking at me,alert,chowing on hay,licking minerals,licking baking soda,pooping and peeing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts