Please help - any ideas ???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by MiddleRiver, Apr 15, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northwest WI
    Ok, so i brought my buckling to get disbudded Sunday evening. When i brought him back he smelled of burnt hair and his dam sniffed him and then butted him away. So i put her on the milk stand and let him nurse. I put some vet RX on her nose to help cover up his new smell and put them away - she no longer butted him away and seemed to accept him again. The next morning she was more full then usual, but i thought it was because her buckling didn't feel good due to the disbudding. So i put her in the milkstand and he really didn't want to nurse - he was sore so i milked her out.

I came home last night and he is back to 100%, but she was very full, so i watched, when he goes to nurse she moves away and if he persits she will gently butt him away - she is not letting him nurse - but is letting him be next to her. They are still in the kidding pen with is 5ft x 8 ft as it hasn't been the best weather and while training her to milk ( she is a 3 yr old FF ) the kidding pen is in the garage so is more conveniant as that is right next to where i milk.

So last night at milking time i let him get his fill then finished milking her out. And again before i went to bed i went out, put her on the milkstand and let him get his fill again - this morning i did the same thing. I don't think i would be able to get him to take a bottle at this point, but if they were staying here, putting her on the milkstand at least 3 times per day would be ok - if thats enough for him. BUT she is going to her new home today or Thursday, and i'm going to feel bad making her new owners have to do this ( they bought both of them so they are going together ) .

Is she ever going to let him nurse on her own again ? Any ideas ? The Vet RX no longer works....

2. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i have heard that some times if you put some of her milk on his head & let her lick it off then they will take them. i bottle feed all my babies so have never had this happen

3. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northwest WI
    i will try that - thanks

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well sometimes when you purchase animals they have little qurks you have to live with. Tell the new owners what is happening and what you are doing to remedy the situation but that it is possible she will need to be held for him to nurse a couple times a day.

It is all a part of owning and raising goats, if they are new to goats well they are diving in, if they have had goats for a while they shoudl understand that it is all a part of it

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You can also put a little peppermint oil on her nose, and on the babies rump and neck.

6. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northwest WI
    i don't have peppermint oil, but the Vet RX is strong smelling so i had hoped that would help - it seemed to at first, but not anymore. I did only put it on her nose though - should i put it on him too ? Thanks !