Please help, Baby Al is having scours :(

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Dreamchaser, May 1, 2010.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    He will be 3 months old as of May fifth. Looks real good, but yesterday I went out to feed and he had been scouring that night.

I thought I pretty much had it under control by the evening. Though he was still scouring a little, he was up and around more and his back end was pretty clean.

I gave him a bottle in the morning with electrolytes added, and another that night. We had a sudden cold snap the night before I noticed the scours, so I bought him a jacket for the night. I gave him pepto a few times yesterday.

Today I went out to check on him and he was scouring again. I threw him some dry grass hay. I think I will pull him off the pelleted feed I give him. He wasn't eating a whol lot anyway. He was only nibbling yesterday, but he would take his bottle.

I went back out there this morning, after I had my shower (can't think straight without it) I came armed with more pepto, and he came out of his house and trotted over to the gate. So he has more energy than he did yesterday. So that is good. He looks a little slim, but not terrible. I know he is still eating pasture a bit, because I remember seeing him standing with his head down yesterday, nibbling. I shot some more pepto into his mouth. I load up the suringe, because he can spit it out pretty good. I know he got at least 1/2 to 3/4 of it.

I know sometimes young goats can get into weeds that will make them scour, and they are all pretty tall in his pen. Lots of dandilions, which are a dirraretic (sp?).

2. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    Just my personal opinion but here's what I'd do. First I'd wean him. He's old enough to not need a bottle any more. Isolate him and provide water. No grain. Grass hay wouldn't hurt but sounds like he's off his feed anyway. If scours continue and he's not drinking on his own keep providing electrolytes.
    A young goat that's off feed and has scours may have Coccidiosis. Giving a course of Sulfadimethoxine might help. But don't use Sulfadimethoxine if using Penicillin.
    I am not a vet. Take what I say with a grain of salt.
    Info on Cocci from Fias Co Farm.

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/coccidiosis.htm

3. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Got some Albon, gave him some and gave a fecal to the vet. Found one that waas open today. I feel better.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah probably cocci

and yes he is old enough to be weaned at 3 months.

5. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    LOL. Until I did the math today, I didn't realize he was already about 3 months old! Boy the time does fly. I will wean him pretty soon. I do enjoy giving him his bottle at night though.
    Yeah, vet said it looked like cocci. I keep everything so clean though. I was really shocked. I empty the water bucket often and everything. I thought it was something that only little baby goats get, or goats in dirty conditions get. I feel terrible. Did I not keep something clean enough? Should I start scrubbing the water buckets out with bleach every time?

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but coccidia is EVERYWHERE. Its only when some sort of stress occurs that its grows to proportions that the goat can not handle on its own that it becomes a problem. Stress can occur for the common reasons and even some strange ones.

Common reasons,
    weaning
    moving to a new home
    moving out with the herd
    weather changes
    feed changes
    the sky is blue
    the grass is green
    treats not given when the goat wants them
    just about anything can bring on a cocci load if the conditions are right. Adults can normally handle a good sized load without any problem if they are healthy. If they become debilitated it doesn't take much at all.

7. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Crocee, that's not terrible news, per se. At least I don't feel so bad now. I was thinking it was something that I did, or did not not do. It probably was the hard freeze the other night. It had been really warm, like leave-the-fan-on-at-night warm, to freezing-the-tops-of-the-water-buckets cold the next night.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    he just went through a stressful move to your place recently its not uncommon for them to get coccidia afters something like that.

crocee you are to funny! but its true

9. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    :ROFL: :slapfloor: :slapfloor:

10. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Amen! :slapfloor:

Gina

11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    He still has runny poo. I keep finding oatmeal-like poo piles everywhere. I did not give him a bottle last night. There was a huge pile of poo where he was sleeping last night in his house (mushy of course). I have stopped giving him pepto after the second day, it did not seem to help.
    His poo has always been soft since I got him, not pellets, but had the bumps like he was trying to form pellets. In his shipping crate was pellets when I received him, but since he has been on my property he has always had soft poo.
    I have been giving him probiotics once a day. Other than that ans what the vet has told me, I don't know what else to do.

12. I had the same thing with my bottle baby. Took him off the bottle and put him on feed and gave him 24cc of the pepto. He is not going great and eating just fine.

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    What do you recommend feeding him? I have him on pasture (can't really take him off, it's very green here), dry grass and pelleted feed.
    Yesterday, I knew I spoke too soon. He began the squirts again. :( Today he looks kinda thin. I'm hoping he puts some weight on. I don't think I will do the probiotic paste for a while. I was doing some thinking, as I have him on anti-biotics, and the pro-biotics may be interfering. Not sure it means the same thing, as the "pro-biotics" is just acidophelis (sp?).

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    If he is on antibiotics he needs the probiotics. The probiotics help replenish the rumen bacteria that the antibiotics kill off. Antibiotics can't tell the difference in good and bad so they kill off ALL. The probiotics are needed to help process the food he eats and do not interfere with the function of the antibiotics.

15. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    How long after I give the antibiotics do I give the probiotics? I was giving the probiotics in the morning, and the antibiotics at lunch break at work. But I'm thinking I should reverse those.

16. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    If giving the antibiotics orally I would wait several hours before giving the probiotics so the antibiotics is absorbed. If injecting I give them at the same time. The way your doing it is fine so no need to change.

17. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I pray he gets better. I'm trying not to worry, which I'm a terrible worry-wart. He is eating good. But I know that scours can be really bad.

It brings back awful feelings from when the foal I had was scouring. It was months before I could get her cured. I almost lost her. Turned out she was allergic to grain!

18. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Do you have any scour halt?

19. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    No. Our feed store is EXTREMELY limited. I bought horse electrolytes, but he won't drink it because it is terribly salty. I tried it myself to see what the problem was, and I nearly spit all over myself.

20. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Cinnamon is said to be good at stopping scouring and is available at most all grocery stores. I have never tried it so I can't comment on its effectiveness.