The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very close friend of mine has a heard of boer goats, he is having many troubles with them right now! The first to have a problem was his mom goat who kidded in the beginning of april, about 2 weeks ago she became extremely thin and kept getting thinner to the point where she looked to be just bones! she kept eating though, then she started with bad diarrhea, so he wormed her and she started getting a tiny bit better. 10 days later he wormed her again because she wasn't improving greatly but DID improve and the wormer he used said to reworm in 10 days. The day following the 2nd worming she died and we dont know why! now his buck is going through the same thing! we are trying alot on him but does anyone have any suggestions? when i checked their bottom lids they were completely white! does anyone know what it could be? 4 weeks prior to his mom goat getting ill, he lost a 3 month old kid to the same symptoms!

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
what wormer did he use? white lids are severe anemia which also needs to be treated along with wormer....he needs to treat agressively...Worm 3 times 10 days apart and once more in 30 days with Ivomec plus...he also needs to Vit. B 12 Injectable rX) and Iron (either injectable or use red cell oral) to help the goat rebuild red blood cells..B complex for appitite and energy, plenty of high protien feed, hay and leaves..keep them as stress free as you can..cool shade plenty of water or electorlytes..
anemia has a slow recovery...here is more about treating anemia
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
have they been tested or treated for coccidia? b/c that's what it sounds like to me. were fecals done before giving the wormer? worming sometimes doesn't work if the wormer used doesn't kill off the parasite. what wormer was used and what dosage?

Can they get a fecal and cocci done so they know what they're fighting against.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Cocci can certainly be an issue as well...a fecal will help deterime if treatment for cocci is also warrented.... I would still begin with Iv.plus as liverfluke or stomach worms are likely

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Im sorry..I should have also addressed the diarreah....I would give Pepto to help dry him up and sooth his gut and would give him C D Antitoxin to help distroy any toxicity building in his gut...Probiotics to help restore flora...keep him well hydrated...if you can not for some reason have a fecal done..I would also go a head and treat for Cocci along with everything else...Dimethox or Sulmet are good OTC treatments or Corid in a pinch.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Listen to what happybleats tells you to do...if it wasn't for her, my baby goats would probably be dead right now. She knows what she is talking about!

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
how are things going?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay, so we did the iver plus, red cell and b complex and have been continuing the b and red cell, so far they seem much better and are eating and drinking fine. before we did the iver+ he used safe guard to worm them all. it didn't work. but now everything seems to be helping. there is one goat that we did that didn't show anything now has scours, is this normal? thanks!!

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
sometimes as the wormer is doing its job it will give them diarrhea. But watch to make sure it doesnt last more then a couple days after worming. If it does then a different treatment maybe in order

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
so glad everyone else is doing well..

I agree with Stacy, if it goes more than a day or two or if other symptoms appear a second look at whats going on with her is needed..how is she acting otherwise?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
update: so we did the 2nd dose of ivermectinplus tonight. the Buck is just not lookin so hot, he doesn't eat much and he STILL is scouring, nothing seems to help that. he looks like he is getting skinnier if even possible! also, one of the other goats that seemed to be healthy is hiding in the corner and wont eat. her eyelids are bright pink, and she is not scouring yet. she just isn't a happy gal. is it possible its coccidiosis? they are all adults...were just at a loss right now!! :(

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
It is time to have a fecal done to include coccidia. Yes adults can get coccidia. You really need to know what parasites you are dealing with. You may not be using the right dewormer but won't know until you get a fecal done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts