The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice welcome. When we got home this afternoon we let our dog out of the kennel as we always do not knowing our goat had escaped the goat pen and was in the back yard. Our dog mangled her front leg pretty bad. She has a large laceration on her upper leg. You can see tendons. Some of the tendons are damaged. I flushed the wound out and wrapped it. She is covered up with blankets because I'm pretty sure she is in shock. I don't have much as far as medical supplies & medicine. I have never had to treat my animals before. They have always been healthy. I don't have a large animal doctor near me that works after hours. My biggest concern is her being able to use her leg again. Any suggestions appreciated. If I need to put her down I am willing to. I just want to give her a chance.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Keep her hydrated, if needed give electrolyte drench. I would give another CDT shot for the tetanus part. I would offer hay... Maybe some low dose aspirin or regular aspirin for the pain. You may want to call a vet tomorrow though. Others will probably chime in with more experience though, but that is what I would do tonight.

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
What do you have in medical supplies and medicine? I would definitely be getting a B Complex shot into her along with offering electrolytes in the water. Some type of pain/anti-inflammatory as well. I would also definitely be calling the vet in the morning.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Good advice from Janee. Vet first thing in the morning. And I would suggest you decide which you want more. The dog or the goat and get rid of one or the other. Once a dog gets a taste for the chase, there is no coming back from that. Good luck.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Im sorry...how scary ...

Banamine for pain and swelling ( or 2 reg. Adult aspirin if its all you have)
Penicillin 1 cc per 20 # sub Q 2 times a day to stay infection..
B complex will help with the stress..
Tetanus antitoxin 2 cc sub q
I wouldnt wrap it too tight until you can have a vet look at her...
And a vet ASAP..a proper cleaning and stitching may be needed..

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or molasses you have on hand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
1,524 Posts
I have 6 very predatory dogs that I have on the same small property as my goats. I don't feel the need to get rid of either one, even though I know if the dogs and goats got together, there would be shredded goats. I just make sure that the fencing is up and the electricity in the fence is working. In the 8 years I have had this breed, I have not had a problem. You don't have to make a choice. I feed goat raw goat meat and bones to all my dogs, so they all have "the taste".

I would give the doe a tetanus antitoxin, clean the wound and wrap it to keep dirt and insects out and keep the wound moist until the vet see's it. I would definitely see a vet asap.

I use Banamine for pain and inflammation, but when I don't have banamine I equine aspirin, which comes in apple flavoring.

Vitamin C will help reduce the inflammation.

Believe it or not, Tension Tamer Tea (Celestial Seasonings Tea company) will help calm her if fed the herbs in 3 of the tea bags or drenched with a tea made from 3 of the bags steeped in a cup of water with honey added.

Keep her warm and dry, make sure she is drinking.

I would just feed her free choice hay, stop the grain until she is safe from the threat of shock.

If she is laying down, make sure she is up in her chest, not laying flat out.

Watch for bloat (If she is laying down a lot) or polio (because her rumen is not working correctly due to shock or not eating) and give daily doses of Vit B complex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vit B & aspirin in her. Made electrolyte solution happy bleats suggested. ShewYwEqu2W drank a little & I drenched a little until I felt I was stressing her too much. She will not eat hay. She will not stand. I have her covered with a light blanket & propped up so she is not laying on her side. She has been "humming" to me. I assume this is from pain. Hopefully the aspirin will help her. Thanks to all who responded. Sorry it took me so long to reply but I have been sitting with her all night. Will be calling vet in the morning. If she does lose the use of her leg would a 3 legged Nubian goat have a good quality of life or will that mean we have to put her down?

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Yes, Goats can learn to function with three legs..Harder if its the front ..but its doable...Hopefully it wont come to that...the humming is most likely her in pain....poor girl has been through it...keep the electrolytes and hay in front of her, its good you have her propped up..better for her rumen,,..I will send up a prayer for her tonight...You have done all you can tonight for her...hopefully the vet can bring some relief in the AM with banamine and good news...

best wishes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She is a very spunky girl. She is our only goat that ever escapes. We fix how she gets out and she finds a new way. We even caught her "digging out" at a spot where the rain had washed away some of the dirt at the bottom of the fence. We caught her half way out. She was on her side squirming out. Of my goats if any can make it with 3 leggs I would think she would be the one who could adjust. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Keep the wound moist with salt water soaked gauze and wrap with a sticky ace bandage until you get her to the vet he may or may not stitch it if not this will be your routine until it closes up by itself. The vet may not stitch it because it would close anaerobic bacteria in the wound. At the very least he should put her on antibiotics. Do what you want with the dog you are just going to have to be super careful from now on.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
she sounds like a pain in the butt that I would love best!!! Do keep us posted...most of us are all worry warts here, ok Im a worry woart lol!!! Best wises

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Its good to know Im not alone in being a worry wart lol

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
How are things with your doe?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts