The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
Yiks..poor baby.. give him a Tetanus antitoxin shot and banamine for pain ..I think I might band that just above the bare area..spray the bare part with BluKote after its been banded 30-40 minutes..Blukote has alchole in it and would burn like the dickens other wise..
Be sure to leave enough stub to swish flies from his bum...

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
blukote should help with flies...I think allowing it to air dry would be better??.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I agree with the others. Don't freak out I know it looks nasty and to make you feel better we get about 3 calf's a year that dogs rip their tails off and we don't band it just antibiotics and cut heal and they do just fine.....ugly but fine. Was it a dog??? Dogs love to go for tails for some reason. Poor guy I'm sorry this happened :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it was my pos donkey, my dad doesn't like to admit he's wrong so he won't get rid of her, I wasn't going to let them meet until I could supervise them but he somehow got over there, I found him at the very front of the property by himself, I honestly think it was the donkey, she is a bitch and the dogs that would have done something, if they could get in, would do much worse than this

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
I would give him the 4 cc in the little vile..

·
Registered
979 Posts
give him some warm water with electrolyes too...all that stress, poor baby. I am all for the vitamin B shot and be sure you have CD antitoxen hand as his gut may distress from the stress. But...It will heal and it is much less aweful than it looks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He has been calm this whole time, he is now in the barn safe eating normally, I put the blue kote on his tail and gave him the tetanus antitoxin shot, ill re apply the blue before it gets dark and check on him periodically. The man at the feed store said to give him another shot in 2 weeks. Any other suggestions? I'll see if I can get some electrolytes as well If that will help him.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i think i'd band it give penicillin. tsc wont have banamine. but they do have animal aspirin i would use children's ibuprofen anyway. blue koteor some thing else for flies. they are going to eat him alive in any case. i would clean it, band it, blue kote it, and wrap it to keep the flies out

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
One of our old whethers had this happen from my old pony. The vet numbed it up and cut it off. If you can't afford the vet I would band it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can't afford the vet and someone miss placed my bander so I can't even do that for him now, it looks horrible but okay I guess. Thank you all for the help, if I can find my bander I will do that but other wise I guess he'll just have to live with it till I can afford surgery

1 - 20 of 57 Posts