Please help, I don't want scours to kill my first bottle baby :(

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by quarterhorse08, Feb 4, 2016.

1. quarterhorse08

quarterhorse08 New Member

Feb 4, 2016
    :anyone:

I have a 5 week old nigerian dwarf buckling bottle baby. Had him for about 2 weeks now. His poo was normal pellets for the first few days, then he developed scours. It wasn't bad at first, kind of like dog poo for a few days, and I figured it was just because of the milk not being his mom's like his system was used to. Then it gradually got worse, now it is straight liquid, nearly no chunks. He is eating a kid formula from fleet farm (3 oz powder to 2 cups water, they didn't have does match or manna pro, which I have heard is best. We had him on whole cow's milk with a little bit of yogurt mixed in for the first week and a half, but he developed scours, so we switched to kid-specific formula) ~4-6 oz 4 times a day (he usually doesn't eat more than 2 oz on the last feeding as its only 2-3 hours after the previous one right when we get home from work) and hay (he LOVES his hay).
    We think it may be coccidia, so last night we gave 1ml of 9.6% oral solution corrid (couldn't find dimethox, albon or sulmet) in his mouth (along with 40 ml sq fluids and 1ml iron sq). He is still walking around, maybe a little more lethargic than before, but eating decent-ish. I mixed up some resorb and fed that to him 2 hours ago to help with dehydration. I plan on getting a fecal for testing, but I don't want to loose him while we wait for results.
    We have 2 other dwarf mixes that developed slightly loose stool 2 days ago (new guy was staying in a dog kennel in the big goat pen for protection until he is older, the big kids just headbutt him constantly), so now we are keeping the little guy in the house for warmth and a quiet place to rest. Should we treat them with corrid too? Or wait and see how the little guy responds and go from there?
    Anything more we can do to help the little guy? I don't want to loose him! He is my first bottle baby.
    Thank you!

2. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    Just feed him whole cow milk from the store, what color is liquid? I would give all kids the cocci treatment.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Stop all milk for 12-24 hours and feed quality electrolytes in place of milk. Let his tummy rest. You can also give pepto to sooth his tummy and dry him up. Now to figure why hes runny...greenish poop is usually dietary..yelllow is usually milk scours..dark brown to black can be worm/cocci. I would have a fecal done asap if you can or treat him for cocci...and yes..treat all kids. I would go back to whole cows milk and feed him less. You want to feel a firm Flat tummy when hes done eating...if hes too poochy its too much and he may not be digesting it all...at five weeks old..he can go to three bottles a day..

4. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Well quick reading sure makes us miss things. ..i see you started cocci treatment. .be sure to go for 5 full days...

5. quarterhorse08

Feb 4, 2016
    Thank you so much you two for your speedy response!
    His poo is a medium brown. I just cleaned more up off the floor, so this isn't the greatest picture, the pee pad got folded over and it dispersed it a bit. We started the kids milk replacer a few days ago, thinking that may help (I've been torn between cows milk and replacer, but with him scouring with cows I decided to switch. I'm sure that isn't helping his tummy right now... I panicked and other sites have said the cows milk isn't the right nutrients as goat's milk and that people who have bad experiences with formula are probably mixing too heavy)
    We have been feeding him until he drops the nipple once, offer it one more time and when he drops it again we take it away, but it looks like we inflated a ball in his tummy. I can feel his every vertebrae and his hips, is this normal with Nigerian Dwarf kids? I got scared he wasn't getting enough nutrition with the whole cows milk.

I gave him 1.5 ml of pepto an hour or so ago after looking at some of the other threads on scouring kids. (is that an okay amount?)

So my plan is to give resorb only (is pedialite okay if I run out of the resorb? I only bought a packet and didn't think I would be feeding that only for a while) for 12 hours, continue the 1 ml of corid for the full 5 days. The boyfriend will help give him more fluids and iron tonight. and give pepto every 6 or 12 hours to help his tummy. Should I still feed him hay? Sorry for so many questions.

Attached Files:

6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    No need to be sorry..questions are good ;)
    Im wondering why you are giving iron.
    Sounds like hes getting too much milk...why it can be true, mixing replacer too rich can be an issues..also replacer with soy in it. I find cows milk easier on them. I never use replacer. Whole cows milk has plenty all by itself. Pedialite is ok to give as well.
    A wormy baby can get a real poochy belly and skinny hip look...how does his lower eyelids look?.. .poop looks normal color.

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Has he been wormed? ..a round of valbazen might be needed.

8. thegoatmama

thegoatmama Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Papaaloa, Hawaii
    sorry to hear your little guy is having a rough time. :hug:
    I would get a fecal done ASAP to know what you're dealing with. It could be cocci, but no point in giving him a treatment for something he may not need. When I had similar issues with my kids last year my vet had me get a small sample of manure from each kid and do a group test. It cost about $15 and took 10min to get the results. All the kids went on an SMZ treatment.
    For how watery his stool is, electrolytes are crucial. Dehydration is a serious threat.

I would try to get Doe's Match from Land of Lakes. It really is the best.

Good luck!

9. quarterhorse08

Feb 4, 2016
    His hips aren't pronounced through his fur, but they are easily feel-able. His FAMACHA is a 2 I would say, lighter than it was before, that's why we thought maybe some iron. Should we stop the iron? We gave him some Ivermectin when his stool got to the dog poop stage, I believe his mom was dewormed a month before she gave birth, so we were going to wait, but then this all happened. We are new to the area, don't have a vet yet. Do you think I could just bring a sample to the local vet and ask them to run it? I tried to put a diaper and a onsie on him so I can spend some time cuddling with him, but his diarrhea just ran right out of it :( He doesn't seem to like the Resorb, just wants milk and nom's on my finger after dropping the electrolyte nipple... argh! So questions:
    Is hay okay while off milk?
    Should I switch back to cow's milk after being on formula for a day? I don't want to ruin his system with yet another change.
    Should we stop the iron?
    Should I be giving him 4 cc pepto every 12 hours to calm his stomach?
    Thank you all so much!! You people are literally a lifesaver <3

10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Does the milk replacer have soy in it?

11. quarterhorse08

Feb 4, 2016
    nope, it's got whey, just like doe's match.

12. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Did you slowly transfer him over to new milk each time you changed?

13. quarterhorse08

Feb 4, 2016
    mom to cows milk was sudden when we brought him home. I did mix in the cows milk with the formula, but probably not as gradual as I should have. It confuses me that he was okay on whole milk for a week, if it was the change to whole milk, wouldn't it have been within a day or two? Then got log poop (like a dog) for a few days a week after we brought him home, then it got runnier (cowpie at first, gradually got more watery like it is now), so I switched to kid formula last night hoping that was the issue, but it's just gotten worse, so we started the coccidia treatment and electrolytes.

14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    the cows milk may not have been the issue...it could have been how much he was drinking, or could be from worm or cocci...

if he's a 2 on the famancha chart, thats not bad, he does not need iron....i would stop.

give time for his tummy to rest...then when he is firm again, start milk. I like to start with 10-12% of his body weight in oz...weigh him and multiply that by 16 to get his weight in oz..then multiply that by 10-12% to see how much per day he needs to start with...divide into 3 feedings...after each bottle, feel his tummy, it should be flat but firm, not too poochy or sunken in., adjust amount as needed +/-..he will beg for more...be strong...if his tummy feels right, its the right amount...

and yes..all the hay he wants..I would offer a grass/alfalfa blend or add a handful of alfalfa hay to his hay.

15. quarterhorse08

Feb 4, 2016
    Ok, I will do electrolytes only until he firms up (all the way to pellets? or is dog poop form okay?
    How long can they go without milk? He drank milk around noon today, then I only gave electrolytes and will continue that, but if he doesn't firm up by tomorrow, do I still not give him milk? I am such a worry wart.

We do have alfalfa hay, we buy hay from a local farmer, I'm not sure what the mix is, but we do have a bale of for sure alfalfa.

I cannot thank you enough, happybleats. I am taking notes on this whole thing to relay to the boyfriend. I posted on a goat vet page on facebook and have yet to hear a response :p You guys are my go-to from now on!

16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would do electrolytes for 12 hours to start...then 24 if he's still loose.. I like to see pellets ..you can go 36 hours without milk but I hate going that long unless its really needed...you don't want to start milk too soon setting things backward...he will be fine, especially since he loves his hay : )

here is an electrolyte recipe that most love...you can cut it in half since it makes a lot...be sure its warm just like his milk

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
    2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or what you have or honey
    1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
    1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

17. quarterhorse08

Feb 4, 2016
    Perfect, I know he's hungry for milk, but if it means he lives, he won't get a drop til he's solid! He's been mowing the hay like it's going out of style.
    Thank you for the recipe! We have all of that in our kitchen :) That will be easy if we run out of Pedialite. Here's to hoping he gets solid poops soon!

18. quarterhorse08

Feb 4, 2016
    He is having semi solid poops, like a soft dog poop now. Success! We will continue the corid, and pepto until he is dropping pellets. I plan on mixing whole milk with yogurt and some pedialyte for a few feedings to ease his tummy into milk again. He is more pale and kind of cloudy/dull eyed than before, should I give iron again? Im sure milk with liven him up, but I want to help him in any way I can. Thank you guys so much!!!! ❤️❤️

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Glad he is doing better. On the milk..i wouldnt mix anything in it..and its best to feed milk and electrolytes seperate. ..at least 2 hours apart...you can feed one meal milk then next electrolytes ect...i wouldnt do iron unless he is a 4 on the famancha chart

20. quarterhorse08

Feb 4, 2016
    Thank you! Milk only this feeding, just made it up, here we go! Again, i cant thank you enough!! You saved this little guy's life! I think we will alternate milk and electrolites like you said, his poop is still runny, but not as bad.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016