Please help! I have an emaciated 10 month old...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by CountryGalwGoats, Sep 30, 2008.

1. CountryGalwGoats

CountryGalwGoats New Member

I just got my young Alpine back. When my husband first bought her a month ago, he took her to his friends house, thinking of breeding her with his buck. Then it was thought she already had worms pretty heavy when we bought her, because she started losing weight rapidly. Really, she may have been very thin when they bought her. Anyway, I just got her back -- and she is SO SKINNY. I was just wondering if you knew of anything that could put weight on her FAST, and help her to get back to health. We wormed her a week ago. She seems to be eating grain and grazing on our brush, but in 2 or 3 days I don't know yet if she is getting better. I just wanted to know if I should give her something special. I am also giving water soluable vitamins in their water.

Thanks for your help! :shrug:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    did you see the post on................... weight .............in...... Caprine Special Care.....................look down on the list you should find it ......................it is what people are using to put on weight.. hope it helps,,,,,,,,, :)

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    geez, I worm my goats with specifly made for goats pellet wormer, and then I give then Milk Plus to keep their weight up. Works really well, but as for this moment I can't remember any brand names. if you want I can make a mental note of that and tell you tomorrow morning.

4. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I like beet pulp to put weight on horses. I don't really need it for anyone right now. All my animals are like me, they look at food and gain weight.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Depending on the type of worms you treated her for, you should worm again 10 days after the first dose, plentiful quality hay and a higher protein grain mix will do her good, I just started my milking doe on Calf Manna as well as her usual 18% to keep her production and condition up.

If she is that skinny I would think twice about breeding til she is in better condition, a pregnancy will sap her body of what she needs to maintain herself. Alfalfa pellets are also a good conditioner, plenty of goat specific loose minerals and alot of TLC...she'll come around and you should start to see a difference in a month or so....might be a good idea to have your vet run a fecal...some parasites have become immune to wormers and you may need to use a different one. I hope sh improves quickl for you :wink:

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I use calf manna as well...my horse was very underweight and I gave him some calf manna and that little boy started putting on the weight! It works well on goats as well, I am feeding it to a buck that i have that needed to gain some weight, muscle and fat and now he is filling in well and i have been feeding for about a month now....add some BOSS to their diet too but not a whole lot.

7. CountryGalwGoats

CountryGalwGoats New Member

Thank you, thank you! Liz, I hope she's not pregnant yet, you're right, I won't let her get pregant yet if it's not too late. Thanks for all the advice! The calf manna is something I did not know about. I'll keep at it!

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have used the calf Man also, but for my goats it gave them the Hershey squirts really bad. Also, do not try to put weight on her really fast. Take your time and it will come with time. Make sure she has good Alfalfa hay if you can and have it all the time for her to eat when she wants it.

Also I have used a liquid that I got at the feed store, I believe it is called Healthy coat. It has Omega 3 and it really helped my goats put on weight, and they had a beautiful coat as well.

DO A FECAL FLOAT. That way you are treating for the correct type of worms. It really does not do any good if you are treating for one type and she has another. How is her eye lid color?