!!!Please help!!! I think my doe has a rectal prolapse!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Paige, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    I went out this morning to feed my does, and I noticed that my 6 year old oberhasli doe has a very bulgy rectum. You can see some very red and and very stuck out tissue that comes out about a half inch. I'm really worried about her. How serious is a rectal prolaps? Is it life threatening? I have no clue what to do about it. :shrug: I put vasaline on my finger and tried to push it back in but I dont think it did much. Please tell me what to do about it! She is about half way through her pregnancy if that matters. I dont think it was there yesterday or at least I didnt notice it. This goat is really close to me and she was not cheap so I dont feel like loseing her. Please help!!!!!! :help:

2. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.

3. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Yikes. I have never had this happen, but from what I understand it is not life threatening. To fix it, you or a vet will generally need to push it back in, making sure everything is very clean and that you give penicillin to avoid infection. Personally, I think I would have a vet do it because they will have a very sterile environment in which to perform the procedure and I would be really paranoid about ripping something if I did it myself.

4. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Thank you so much for the link! I would think I would rather try to do this myself, because the vet around here doesnt know crap about goats and I would like to learn how to do it for future needs. I really wish we had a vet around here that knew something about goats that did not charge you an arm and as leg every time you need him. Well if anyone has any more advice I will need it. Thanks!

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I had a doe that had a full rectal prolapse... she had a tumor that broke off and caused her to prolapse and then it all came out. She broke pieces of it off and we had to euthanize her. It was the most awful thing we've ever been through over here. She was in so much pain. Hopefully that doesn't happen with your doe. As long as it doesn't break off, rip or tear then you can push it back in. However, whatever is making it come out will likely continue too and it will happen again and then she risks tearing it. I'd try and figure out what the problem was. Or contact your vet over the phone about what he/she would recommend doing.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...a vet should be seen.....as with prolapses ...alot of times... it reoccurs over and over.... so... it must be fixed...... the tissue is very sensitive and can rip very easy....... if ripped.... it will cause infection... because it is feces ...that is continuing to go through there... so it isn't clean.... be careful.... :hug:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I'd call a vet.. a rectal prolapse is the same in most livestock

I've lost two pigs to rectal prolapses, both were stressed when being moved to a new pen. They went septic and it was very bad.

8. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Thanks for the help everyone! Juli is doing much better. It was a very minor issue. It actually looked more like a bad case of hemorrhoids so we treated her with LOTS of Preparation H, both externally and in suppository form. We didn't even have to call the vet. We were so afraid it would just get worse and worse, but after 5 days of treatments she's back to normal! :wahoo: So glad she is OK.

Rocknjpaints likes this.
  9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Cool! I was just going to tell you to use Preperation H! LOL. Glad you got it under control.

10. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    very good! I would just keep a close eye on her as her pregnancy develops -- and we'll all keep our fingers crossed

11. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    We use sugar, yep regular old sugar on all kinds of prolapses, and it is so cool!! It works!!
    Some how the sugar shrinks the inflamed tissue, and waalaa, you can call your goat, 'Sugar Buns!!'
    If it does happen again, give it a go, Vets all over the place use it!!

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is so cool...glad it was corrected...congrats.... :wink: :thumb: