Please help me decide on which doe.

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Cinder, Apr 2, 2009.

  1. Cinder

    Cinder New Member

    736
    Mar 2, 2008
    I've been looking for a purebred Nubian doe either in milk or about to freshen. I've finally found two (from two different people) - I need your opinions on which you would purchase (sight unseen)... if either, with just the following information:

    1) Doe - 3 yrs. old, 2 star milker, her grandmother has a Superior Genetics (can someone tell me exactly what that means?). She just freshened this week and is giving 3/4 gln. However, yesterday she went off feed but is acting normal in all other ways. The owner is giving her medicine (penicillin?) and thinks she's fine - she said she thinks the weather (storm) that blew through this week affected this doe and another one of her does. The owner shows and does Ok in the ring. I was referred to this person by another goat person. She wants $300 but will sell her to me for $250.

    2) Doe - 2 or 3 years old, is bred to freshen in the next month. Has great udder attachment and comes from a good line of milkers. The owner has been into goats for about 15 years. I know nothing else about this one. Her children are getting into horses so they are getting rid of most of their goats. Price hasn't been settled on yet.

    I know, this isn't great info and I've not seen either of the does... but, just toss around your thoughts for me please.
     
  2. Thanatos

    Thanatos New Member

    937
    Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    If the first one is still actually healthy thats the better goat. being a *star milker means they are participating in adga herd improvement program and is a very good rating. 2 stars mean her mom got a star to if i remember that right. if you go to ADGA.org there is an explaination there. the genetic thing is just what is says she has great gene's. See if they have done any liner appraisals on her or her parents. at 250 a good price(I got Luna for 300 and she was preggo) her parents were great line scores and mom had her star. Luna currently give right at 1 gal a day. Is doe #1 registered/able? and at 3 years old you have 6-7 more if you want to retire her and give her a 3-5 year retirement.

    The other goat is a complete unknown........but if you like her and the price is right.

    Oh and make sure which ever you pick CAE negitive and G6S norm.
     

  3. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would ask for pictures and for pedigree information on both. Its hard to decide between the two without price
     
  4. keren

    keren owned by goats

    Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I'll just kick my thoughs around here.

    Doe #1 has an advantage being that she's reg'd, show history, herd recording, great pedigree etc and already milking so you know what her production is. You are gonna get a whole lactation out of her since she just freshened, and plenty more kiddings from her. The off colour is a slight worry, but I generally trust people and wouldnt be too worried about it. Of course, there's always the chance of someone trying to palm off a really sick goat but like I said I tend to trust people. The price is good on this doe.

    Doe #2. Not much information, and I would try to find out whether she is reg'd, and pedigree etc. It could be that she is unreg, no known pedigree, which would place her down for me, or she could be reg'd, or have a pedigree almost as good as the first doe. So I'd need to find out. This doe has an advantage in being due to kid, in that you are getting a 2 for 1 deal (or more) - i always like this cos you get the babies - and I've also found animals that kid at your place tend to do better in the lactation than those who arrive during the lactation. Its also a downside though as you dont know what her production will be. Considering they are dispersing their herd you can often get them at a cheaper price, and higher quality than the ones people would normally sell.

    Those are my thoughts, but I really cant decide without more info.
     
  5. goathappy

    goathappy New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I wouldn't decide anything until you saw the goats. Just because a goat has their *M doesn't necessarily mean they are a good goat or a fantastic milker(they have to milk at least 1500 lbs in a lactation to get their *M, which isn't that much) So I would take a look at her DHI records.

    Superior Genetics is a program from teh ADGA, I don't fully understand how it works, but its a combination of milk scores, appraisal scores and show wins and also that of their progeny that go into seeing if the goat qualifies for their SG.
     
  6. sweetgoats

    sweetgoats Moderator

    Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Cinder. I would not even think of either of them until you look them over yourself, or at least have picutres all directions.
     
  7. Cinder

    Cinder New Member

    736
    Mar 2, 2008
    I wouldn't purchase them without seeing them. The bigger dilemma... one is an hour and a half away and the other is in Wyoming! If I go to see them I have to be ready to purchase as I can't make those trips twice. The Wyoming one is the first doe - they will meet me in Northern Colorado but I hate to go and meet them and then say... sorry, she isn't what I want. I'm going to ask for pictures.
     
  8. sweetgoats

    sweetgoats Moderator

    Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Cinder, If you would like I can give you directions to the goat sale that is going on in Douglas County Sunday. It is the one I told you was Saturday but they changed it to Sunday because of the storm coming in. They might have some there.
     
  9. Thanatos

    Thanatos New Member

    937
    Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    At this point as hard as it might be I would prolly just walk on both does? Too many unknowns and uncertianties. There will be others. :shrug:
     
  10. RowdyKidz

    RowdyKidz Senior Member

    Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    If I were you, I'd decide based on pedigree, conformation, looks, and udder. Good luck and keep us updated!!
     
  11. Dreamchaser

    Dreamchaser New Member

    Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I'd be concerned about the first one's health. You just never know. If it were me, unless you were just dying to have either of these goats right now, I'd wait a little. A lot of people are downsizing due to the economy, and you might be able to score a real bargain.
     
  12. RowdyKidz

    RowdyKidz Senior Member

    Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Forgot to put: that 9if I were you, I would see the sick goat in person, or just pass it up. You don't know how sick it could be. :thumb: