Please help me with my goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by nate30668, Jul 7, 2020.

1. nate30668

nate30668 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    USA
    Hi all thanks for having me. So my problem is I have a 8-9 yr old goat and about 4 months ago he developed what the vet and I was pretty sure was an upper respiratory infection. Had tons of green/brown discharge from nose and mouth. Also said he looked thin so she gave him a dewormer too. Now there’s not so much green discharge as it is foaming around his mouth. He lost his ability to bleet it seems when he tries no sound comes out. For the last two days he’s been just laying with his legs tucked under him and head up but just not really getting up. Even today I had to go basically drag him into his little stable out of the rain. But he’s eating, really liking bread at the moment. I read some of the other posts and I have tried warm stale beer, antibiotics, tums, baking soda. I really want him to make it though this. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What is his temp?

3. nate30668

nate30668 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    USA
    I don’t know at the moment. Will just a regular digital thermometer work that people use?

4. nate30668

nate30668 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    USA
    Just checked with digital thermometer and it was 101.0

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

101.5 - 103.5 is normal. So he is a little under. So he has rumen issues. I'd continue the B Complex and probiotics. Maybe give him some flat dark beer again. Has your vet considered an ulcer?

6. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    Is bread ok for them to eat regularly? I would think not......

goatblessings likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    As a treat and in moderation.

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.
  8. Kristendanae

Kristendanae Active Member

You can get his temp up with a heating blanket. I know it's summer, but the nights have been cool where I live, even when it's hot during the day. You don't want it to drop lower than that.

9. nate30668

nate30668 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    USA
    I don’t feed him bread normally but he’s not eating the pellets I usually give him nor did he touch his hay.

10. nate30668

nate30668 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    USA
    No the vet hasn’t been back out. She came out the once when he had the upper respiratory infection and said if he didn’t get better to give her a call and for a while i thought he was all fixed then he starts this a couple days ago

11. nate30668

nate30668 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    USA
    But I do hear his rumen making noise every few seconds especially while he’s eating so that’s a plus I guess right?

12. nate30668

nate30668 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    USA
    Also I’m no vet or anything but is it possible he’s gotten ahold of something toxic considering the white foam around his mouth?

13. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Can you get him to stand? Maybe have someone help and put a hay or straw bale under him. Massage his legs and body, try to get him interested in moving. Also, by laying too long, he will be laying in his urine and will start getting bad sores. Did the vet check him for lung worms?
    I hope he is feeling better, soon.

14. sweelmeister11

sweelmeister11 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    Sweden
    Some good advice in this thread.

15. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Has anyone checked his teeth? It's not uncommon for a wether his age to start having tooth problems. If he has tooth pain, it could cause him to foam at the mouth and not chew cud properly which could then cause an upper respiratory infection and would cause rumen problems as well. It may also be why he'll only eat bread because it's soft enough to chew. I'd have the vet out again to really look over his teeth.

16. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    I had goats YEARS ago and was raised to know they are garbage disposals. Again, years ago! Now, with my own herd, I have learned they are actually picky eaters but want to taste everything because they are so nosey! I had a friend that stopped by the farm with lunch and was flinging french fries to my herd. I politely said, "Hey, I just got their health right and I am feeding them a particular diet to keep them healthy. Don't give them junk food." He said, "I fed my goats everything. They will be fine." I smiled and said, "You fed.....past tense.....you don't have goats anymore and I have no intention of losing mine. I'm not asking." He just laughed. I don't coddle my goats, mind you, they serve a purpose. They maintain my property and will go to freezer camp when the time comes to feed the family. However, while they are here, their health and happiness is my responsibility and I spend a great deal of time and money to keep them right. I wasn't judging about the bread, just curious if it was ok since I was super rude to my friend about potatoes.

17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

My two also get a little bread. Goats dont particularly like raw potatoes. What they are after is what is added to the potatoes.
    Nate have his teeth checked. I agree that this could be why he is frothing. Remember bread has very little energy value so he could be low. Try even maybe a banana or grated apple. Beetroot is also good.

18. nate30668

nate30668 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    USA
    no offense taken. I love my goat like he’s part of the family and I could never eat him.

19. nate30668

nate30668 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    USA
    I looked at his teeth while I was giving him meds this morning and they appeared fine from what I could see. He tore some carrots, tomatoes, and bananas up.

20. nate30668

nate30668 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    USA
    Ok so i went out this morning and got a bottle of b complex and a tub of probiotics. I gave him 7 ml of the b complex and 5 g of the probiotic mixed with water. According to what I read I wait twelve hours to give more b complex but what about the probiotics? Didn’t really give more instructions other than dosage amount. Also grabbed him a bushel of bananas, a few tomatoes and some carrots and he tore those apart. I did get him to stand using a sling but he didn’t try to stay standing. His front legs def seem stronger than his rear

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020