Please help me with my goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by nate30668, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    If he's chomping carrots his teeth are probably doing well enough not to bother him to this extent. Have you thought about parasites? I have no experience with meningeal worm, but I know it lives in wet areas and affects the spinal cord. Did your vet run a fecal to check for parasites before worming him? Not all wormers are created equal and they don't all target the same parasites.

I'm glad to hear he's eating something. Bananas, carrots, tomatoes, bread, etc. are all better than nothing. There are times when it's important to feed them what they want to eat instead of trying to force them to eat what we think they should eat. Will he eat fresh leaves?

2. nate30668

nate30668 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    USA
    have not tried fresh leaves as I’m in a wheelchair at the moment but when my girlfriend gets back home from work I can try that. He’s due another b complex shot around then anyway.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A lot of great advice here.

nate30668 likes this.
  4. nate30668

nate30668 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    USA
    Ok so he’s been eating and drinking, eating fresh leaves just still not walking around. So today I rigged up something with two towels and a cumalong and lifted him up. He kept acting like something was wrong with his legs but I’m guessing they’re weak. After about 10 mins of hanging/standing there he started to puke up this foul smelling stuff. It was a good bit and I’ve included a pic. I’ve been giving him b complex and probiotics every day. When I let him back down he still seemed just as weak and just laid back down.

Attached Files:

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That is his rumen contents.

6. nate30668

nate30668 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    USA
    I felt like maybe it could have been a good thing he did that? Like cleared himself out because he’s never done that before.

7. ksalvagno

No. Unfortunately it isn't.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would have a vet out, that is not good.

9. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    It’s really not good when a ruminate (like goats, cattle,etc) pukes. I would get a vet immediately.

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. nate30668

nate30668 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    USA
    Unfortunately I can’t afford a vet visit right now. From most of what I’ve read here and other forums puking and both white foam is indicative of poisoning. I’m starting to wonder if he got into an azalea bush or something.

11. nate30668

nate30668 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    USA
    Either way I gave him more fruit and veggies, fresh water and pumped him with more probios. I’m hoping he just got ahold of something bad and me doing all the moving around I did today made him purge anything that could have been affecting him

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  12. ksalvagno

Get activated charcoal into him.

toth boer goats likes this.
  13. nate30668

nate30668 New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    USA
    First thing in the morning. Everything is closed up around here as of 5 pm