PLEASE HELP MY BUCK!! WILL HE MAKE IT? AYONE?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Club-Mini, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    HELLO ALL!!!

I PUT MY 9 MONTH OLD BUCK IN WITH ONE OF MY DOES THE DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY. EVERYTHING SEEMED JUST FINE. YESTERDAY, HE WAS LIMPING A LITTLE BIT, SO IF FIGURED THEY GOT INTO IT SINCE THEY HAVE NEVER MET BEFORE. BUT HIS APPETITE WAS GOOD AND ALL...AND IN THE EVENING, THEY WERE CUDDLING.
    THIS MORNING, I GO TO FEED....GO TO THE PENS, AND HE'S PLAYING DEAD. I RAN UP TO HIM, PETTED HIM, AND CALLED OUT...BUT HE JUST LAYED THERE LOOKING AT ME. I PICKED HIM UP AND SET HIM ON HIS FEET...HE COLLAPSED. I PICKED HIM UP BY THE HORNS AND TRIED TO WALK WITH HIM...HE DID, BUT BARELY TOUCHING THE GROUND WITH HIS FRONT FEET. I PICKED UP THE SORE LEG FROM YESTERDAY HOPING THAT HE WOULD PUT WEIGHT ON HIS GOOD ONE....BUT IT JUST BUCKLED UNDERNEITH HIM AND HE COLLAPSED AGAIN. I FELT EVERY INCH OF HIM...AND HE SEEMS TO BE OK. SO I'M LOST! HIS SHEATH WAS VERY DIRTY, SO I CLEANED THAT OUT.. LET HIM SIT AGAINS THE WALL, BROUGHT HIM SOME PELLETS...ATE THEM FINE....A LITTLE SLOW, BUT HE ATE THEM. BROUGHT HIM SOME WATER IN A LITTLE BOWL...DRANK THAT RIGHT UP. SO I FILLED UP ANOTHER BIGGER ONE AND SET IT RIGHT NEXT TO HIM. CHECKED HIS TEMP.... 104.8 WHICH IS A LITTLE HIGH. DO I PUT HIM ON ANTIBIOTICS? COULD THESE BE SIGNS OF PARASITES?? EVERYONE GETS WORMED ONCE A MONTH. SHOULD I RE-WORM HIM? ANY SUGGESTIONS? IS HE GOING NEUROLOGIC ON ME? HIS HOOFS ARE OK TOO...THEY NEED TO BE TRIMMED, YES, BUT I JUST DONT' SEE WHAT COULD BE CAUSING HIM PAIN NOT TO PUT HIS HOOFS DOWN.
    PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
    NELLA

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    What color are his eye lids? Pink or pale? Has he pooped at all? What does it look like? What are you using for a wormer? Is he peeing?

Give him some thiamin ASAP, you have to get that from your vet. If you can't get to the vet right away give him a bunch of B shots. Is he having seizures at all? Is his jaw locked? Can he open it? Is he UTD on CD&T?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes his temp is high. I would start him on antibiotics and some Fortified B complex UNLESS you have straight thiamine

I would get the vet out ASAP

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Is he having trouble focussing his eyes? If so he might have goat polio (B1 needed asap as goathappy said.) Look up listeriosis too because that can be similar. These are both urgent matters. There is lots of info on treating both on lots of sites.
    The other thing would be founder which I have heard people talk about in goats but have never seen a vet diagnosis confriming. This means that the hoof is being seperated from the insides of the foot- but the foot should be pretty warn if that is happening.

5. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    ok....trying to answer them all....

eye lids are white...not pink...not having trouble focussing at all. he seems to be fine, just depressed. i'm familiar with founder, as our mini horse is rescued and has foundered in the past. i would say that is not possible as he gets no sweets or grain. only pellets and hay and grass. no seizures. has pooped and peed. current on shots. i've used the pelleted form of wormers up until i got the liquid safe-gard from jeffers a few days ago. was gonna re-treat everyone today. no jaw lock...i opened it up to help him taste the water before he gobbled it up.
    calling the vet now about the thiamin.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    nella

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Don't forget to mention to the vet about the white eyelids- and good luck. There is a menegial worm that cause paralysis but that is usually the rear end.

7. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    ah ha.
    found a vet that carries the b complex. heading there now. my vet ordered thiaminie will be here tomorrow.
    how much should i give? 9 months old pygmy...very small...maybe 30lbs

thanks all so much!!!
    i'll update after i inject!

thanks,
    nella

8. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    hello all :)

went to the vet...he said that the buck would be thiaminie dificient if he was walking around in circles acting blind.
    i took the B complex anyway...gave the buck 5cc and penecillin, and de-wormed the whole herd including the buck (Boots). i am still lost. his temp went down to 103.5. he's staring into the wall, and will not walk with his front feet for nothing.everytime i lift him up...he falls head first on the ground...almost as if he thought he didn't have front feet.

any more suggestions would be greatly appriciated!!
    thanks again, i'll keep up with the post as more/less happens.
    nella

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    He doesn't have to be walking around in circles and acting blind for polio(thiamin def.) that is actually associated with listeriosis. If he does have listeriosis, give him high doses of penicillin, I'll have to look up the doseage but its not a normal dosage. Since you only have B Complex, give him enough for the thiamin content in it, 4.5mg per lb of body weight.

Pale eyelids is a sign of anemia, do you have injectable iron or Red Cell? If you have Red Cell give him some. What wormer are you using?

10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    When I thought Willa was dead (just like your boy), the vet gave her thiamin in her vein. I had to give her shots every day a.m and p.m. for 5 days. After we got home from the vet I put her in the stall, she was still almost comatose. It was several hours before I went out to find her standing. She was still blind for another day, then she got better quickly. I was trying to baby her...she was fine till she realized she was alone! Then she wanted back with the others asap.

Sounds like he's getting the care he needs...he should be better soon.

11. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
  12. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  13. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    hello all.
    sorry for not writing yesterday, but my computer took a poop.

we brought him back home yesterday. he's been sitting on the carpet...and won't move, acutally he does move, but only to fall on his side and lay there for a long time till i'll pick him back up and place him upright. i gave him some goat drench and some electorlites to get him thru the night cuz he didn't want to drink. his temp fell yesterday to 103.5 and today its 102.5 ...is this normal? cuz it sure doesn't sound like it.
    he's now just sitting there. no sound, no movement. he pees and poops, but thats it.
    i was wrong about one thing yesterday....when i was asked about the eyelids...i said white, cuz i thought i was asked about the part around his eye balls. cuz i had a pink eye goat...and her eyes were blood shut...that s why i got confused. his eye lids today and yesterday are pink. his eyes don't seem to be wondering around, but it seems when he looks at me, that he's looking right thru me.
    i'm getting thiamine today when ups drops it off....untill then, he's been getting penicillin and yesterdays' dose of vitamin b complex.
    i'm still gonna reasearch some more on the net in a few hours, perhaps i'll find something useful and share.
    thanks again,
    nella

14. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    i've attached some picutres i just took.

i also noticed something...his eyes.
    normally the plack part is a litte rectangle...well..his pupels are very dialated. its a big black circle now..i'm not sure if you can see on the pics...

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Poor guy is very cute. And yes 102.5 is normal.

How much thiamine did the B-complex have in it? It should say on the side of the bottle.

16. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    the vet i went to yesterday sold me 1 seringe of 5cc and told me that is WAY more than he should have anyway. i didn't think to ask as i did not read the posts until i got back. so i didn't buy the whole bottle. the thiamine that is coming today...i will know in a few hours.

sorry, no help from me there. the goat drench does have thiamine, so i know yesterday and today i gave him some.

thanks,
    nella

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Regardless of what the vet says(sorry I have a tendency to not trust vets sometimes) he needs thiamin. He should have it every 6 hours at a dose of 4.5 mg per lb of body weight. It will help him if it is polio. Not all polio patients walk around in circles, sometimes its quite opposite. Also, since he has no rumen function, give him Milk of Magnesia mixed with olive oil, that will help to buffer his rumen to prevent acidity from forming since he is not eating right now.

18. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    hey!
    just finished reading another article....
    GOAT POLIO OR LISTERIOSIS?
    Different Causes, Similar Symptoms, Similar Treatments

though he doesn't have any of the causes! i don't push them to gain weight..i actually think i don't feed enough....no food is rotten, no change either...

i just feel helpless!

thank you for your suggestions...i have been bringing him fresh grass every hour or so...and then getting him to drink water. so he should be ok. but i will buy the milk....what else is it god for?
    thanks,
    nella

19. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008

susanne....why isn't safegard effective in GA??? pelase explain,..this is the first i'm hearing this.

thanks!

20. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    SafeGuard isn't effective for most southern states, it's never worked for me. See worms have become resistant to it over time with over use... the other thing it's only effective against round worms. You need a good broad spectrum wormer.