PLEASE Help! Newbie with a hoof problem!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ddirose, Apr 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ddirose

Ddirose New Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Hello, I am new here and I really need some help. I have two female fainting goats about two years old. The one is lifting her back leg and refuses to walk on it. The hoof is not smelly. The outer wall of the hoof is seperating. Their hooves are also very dry. Originally they were not like that. They were moist with the white lining next to the outer hoof wall. That is now gone. I would REALLY apprciate any help. What should I do to try and heal it??? They are on sweet feed grain, and hay. These are my first goats and I want to be sure I am giving them the best care possible. I keep seeing alot about minerals, etc. so any information about minerals they need and hoof care would help me greatly.

Rose

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Welcome to Goat pot and to owning Goats : )

Sounds like it could be hoof rot..which does not ALWAYS smell : ) here is a article on what it is and how to treat it...I hope it helps : )
    http://www.helium.com/items/1508670-the-causes-and-cures-for-hoof-rot-in-goats

for minerals a quality loose mineral for goats is best.there are some for cattle that are good too..depending on whats available in your area..also free choice baking soda is important to have

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Sounds like hoof rot to me. you need to trim it up the best you can, keep her in dry bedding. Are you trimming their feet at all? If it how I am thinking with the outer wall its going to be very thick, hoof trimmers may not cut it and might have to get horse hoof nippers. Ok, minerals, Im not that much help on that, what i have been doing since I can not find a goat mineral is get cattle loose minerals and also copper bolus them. Search around and see if you can find pics of copper def. in goats and what a fish tail looks like, I cant explain very well :) a little story about copper and their hoof, I have a older doe, she had bad over grown hoofs when I got her and would walk kinda on the sides of her hoofs, any how she gets hoof rot bad all the time, but have noticed since I have been bolusing with the copper it is soooo much better, almost not there. Im not that sure on the cure to it, Im sure there is many posts about hoof rot on her just type it into the search. My old lady I give la200 and clean it with bleach water then la200 on it, but after a few days of that she is uncatchable. Thats all I can think of for now, but I would for sure get going on cutting that crap out of there.

4. Ddirose

Ddirose New Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Thank you both for replying! I will definately do the bleach water. I read 50/50 is that correct? I am hoping I can find the la200. I will also get them some minerals. What does the baking soda do for them? And your meaning leave it out for them for when they want it?

Rose

5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    La 200 or tylan 200 work : ) most feed supply stores carry it..Make sure its not LA 50 : )
    Baking soda helps keep things balanced in they tummies...if they eat too much good stuff like fresh green grass or too much grain..they will eat the baking soda to control bloat...I leave a pan out at all times...
    yes on the bleach 50/50 : )

6. Ddirose

Ddirose New Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Thank you Cathy! I will let you know how Mazey does. By the way, you are one busy Momma with the group listed under your name!!! :)

Rose

7. Ddirose

Ddirose New Member

Apr 2, 2013
    I'm sorry. One last question please. I found the LA 200. Jessica mentioned in her post about putting it on the hoof, and the feed store says its injected. Which way and which works best???
    Thank you so very much!
    Rose

8. Welcome. Don't worry about it being one last question. There are always plenty of people here willing to help that's what makes this such a great site- oh and you will find people are not 'mean' or judgmental.

9. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I believe she means on the hoof..not injected, as a wash of sorts to help kill the bacteria on the hoof. Make sure to get the wall area where it is separating from the pad.....when I have a goat with eye infection I pull up some antibiotic and remove the needle and put it in the eye like a wash...works great : )

10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    like clearwtrbeach said....no worries about questions...we are all supporting and learning together.. : ) ask away...

11. Ddirose

Ddirose New Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Thank you Clearwtr and Happybleats, thats so nice and good to know. I am on my way for the la200 to try and get her healed!
    Rose

12. Ddirose

Ddirose New Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Ok, I have it. She seems very shakey today too, and just mot feeling well. I did get some syringes incase she needs a boost to help her. The needles are 3/4 inch 18 gauge. Where is the best place to inject? This will be my first time injecting one if them.
    Rose

13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would take her temp...just to be sure how she is doing...best not to give antibiotics injected unless she needs them. her temp should between 101.5 and 103.5..if she has fever then injected may be needed : ) I use a cheap digital that beeps fast lol...use a little vaseline to make inserting easier on her and you only need the tip if the thermometer in ,no more than say 1/2 inch

14. imthegrt1

imthegrt1 New Member

Jan 12, 2013
    kentucky
    Dr. Nayonals hoof and feet liquid this works very well to here is a picture of it buy from tsc

image-2123585099.jpg

Look and see to if there is a torn stuck in her foot

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Ddirose

Ddirose New Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Her temp was coming in at about 100. So we soaked her foot in 50/50 bleach water, trimmed away all of the black that had hollowed out along the edge, then put the la200 on it, and covered it to soak up the medicine for a bit. She is actually putting more weight on it today than yesterday after we had trimmed some back then. How often should I continue the soak and medicine on her?

I truly cant thank you all enough! This is all so new to me, and Im trying to be a good Mom. :)

17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    you are being a great goat mommy! I have not dealt with hoof rot personally so i will let another chime in on how often...but I want to address her temp...you said she was shivering too...100 is a bit low...is your weather cold today? does she have shelter to get out of the wind and rain??

18. Ddirose

Ddirose New Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Hi Cathy,
    She just seemed shaky. I dont know if it is from being cold, just that not feeling good kind of shiver. Oh yes! They have quite the little house those two buggers. :) They can get out of the elements whenever they want It is 39 here today. This morning it was colder though, and they have started losing their winter coats already. When we soaked her foot she wasn't doing it then though. I will keep an eye on that. Hopefully someone will chime in on how often to soak and do medicine. :)
    Rose

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    you could add a sweater or blanket to her...Texas weather is crazy..we have had 80 ish weather and today we have 68!!! so glad I didnt shave my goats yet lol..but with them shedding already the cold may just be a bit much...If you have B complex I would give her some to help give her a boost : )...Would love to see pics when you can...we love pictures : )

20. loggyacreslivestock

loggyacreslivestock Well-Known Member

I just had the vet out for hoof scald. She recommends Coppertox. It is a green over the counter liquid. Clean the hooves. Dip in coppertox or rub on (it stains terribly), once a day for 2-3 days. After one application, all four were up and about. BTW it also smells terrible. We get it at the local feed store.

She also gave PEN G. Just one shot.