The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Tog was bred back in December and she is over due I believe the baby is dead have not felt movement and she is long over due not sure what to do. Her ligs are gone but there has been no sign of labor or any signs of the beginning labor
Very confused scared for her.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Do you know when was she bred in December? How is she acting? Is she eating good? "Off" in any way? Goats don't necessarily follow the 5 month gestation time frame as well as we would like.

·
8,364 Posts
You might want to wash up real well, put on a rubber glove and "go in" and check to see if her cervix has opened. Put on some lubricant before you
do check her. Sometimes, if the kid is positioned wrong, the doe won't push much. Has your doe been acting sick or "off"? Sometimes, all it takes
is a little help then they deliver on their own. Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might want to wash up real well, put on a rubber glove and "go in" and check to see if her cervix has opened. Put on some lubricant before you
do check her. Sometimes, if the kid is positioned wrong, the doe won't push much. Has your doe been acting sick or "off"? Sometimes, all it takes
is a little help then they deliver on their own. Good luck!
She is acting normal almost to normal. She hops, jumps around and has been doing this all along just as though she is not pregnant. She is a year old and this would be her first.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
She is acting normal almost to normal. She hops, jumps around and has been doing this all along just as though she is not pregnant. She is a year old and this would be her first.
But you say her udder filled. That's usually pregnant. If she has a dead kid in her, she would probably not be acting normal. Do you have a picture of her udder?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She has been eating well and does not act off at all. Some morning she moves a little slower at getting up but other wise normal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You say she's "long over due", do you have an actual breeding date?
If it's the end of December, she's not late yet. But I'll tell you what one of my goat mentor's told me, "if you have a feeling something is wrong, then you'd better listen to the feeling."
December 4

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
OK, so I see you are a newbie, but, have had a set of twins already. So, I had a doe that was a little overdue and not having real labor although her udder was ready, lol. Sometimes, the kid is positioned so that it doesn't force the cervix to open. I gloved and lubed up and went in to see if I could tell what was going on. I felt nothing, went in a little farther and felt a face. Often, just going in will start contractions. So, I waited a couple of hours and went in again, now I felt something "large" wasn't sure what exactly,waited a few more minutes and checked again and there was a tail! Oh darn...pushed the kid in to try to get the feet, no, so I dilated the cervix more manually, and pinched my fingers around the kids mid-section and pulled with the next contraction (which weren't that great), got the kid out, still alive, 2 more followed.

Sometimes, things don't go exactly like the book says...we women who have had children...know that humans are checked vaginally occasionally. So, I don't see why we should be too "squeamish" to check our does. Go in, if you don't feel anything close or the cervix is still closed you know you have to wait. If the cervix is open you can go in farther and see what you have going on. It's ok, you can do this!

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
ditto wjat di and tenacross said, though i would add that if you are absolutely sure of the due date and theres no way she could have been bred layer, i would personally induce her. im not comfortable them going over 160 days.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have thought about what Di said to do and sure squeamish is in my vocab lol I hate giving shot oh wait I have not done that yet either lol I hate needles.But I do not what to lose her or the baby if I can help it. I will take that into serious consideration and appreciate all the help you all have given me. I did feel this morning and felt the smallest movement but at least it was movement.

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
i y just saw the picture. that doesnt look like a full uddder to me. is there any chance she was bred later? any chamce she.might have had the kid and you didnt.notice? (and it was dead or died)

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
Animalcowgirl ... Im.not sure what you mean by your post? About five months being a guess?

The gestation of a goat is 145 - 150 days, with viable births.as early as 140 days and as late as 160 days (in rare cases maybe 165).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts