The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 week old Nubian doeling is an accident waiting to happen. Last night, when I tucked them in, nothing was wrong. This morning, I found this. Can anyone help me with this? She will not let me touch unless I pin her to the floor and it seems very painful. She won't eat, but she will drink so she has gotten electrolytes and gave her some milk replacer to get something in her tummy. Please help me as this is something completely new to me :-( I have dealt with sore mouth, but I don't see a resemblance.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ugh! I have dealt with sore mouth before but not this extreme :-( gosh this is a bummer....anyone else believe I am battling a severe case of sore mouth on my baby?

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
That is sore mouth....wear gloves when dealing with it...I have read onhere a few times to use "Today" mastisis medication on it. B complex to help her appitite ..plenty of fluid...it will spread like a wild fire..so keep her isolated

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow, am happy i diagnosed it correctly,..i knew what i meant it just took me some time to remember the real name of it...but darn it i was kinda hoping i was wrong for your case, i never dealt with it but i remember seeing photo when i was reading about goat diseases and how they really said for people to keep gloves on hand and try not to touch, since it normally will clear up on its own but sometimes need help with cream since its really painful and the goat will tend to not want to eat

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
yes..sore mouth can spread to humans...it is viral and will run its course..the problem is when the goat cant or wont eat...you can soak alfalfa pellets to moosh and spoon feed it to her make her some electolytes to keep her hydrated...keep hay in front of her at all times..she needs to keep her rumen function up...so even if you have to roll hay in a ball to feed it to her...do what you can ...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Aw poor baby! That is looking like it will be a pretty severe case of it. Since shes in a lot of pain already, I would start her on banamine daily, and use the mastitis cream on there for sure.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ugh! I did not want to deal with this again :-( I will certainly be dosing with banamine and rubbing some mastitis cream on there. Poor little girl. I am going to keep her in my half bath until this clears up. It is easiest for me to disinfect and clean at this point. I am so sick of this crap already :-( thank you everyone for your help. It is pretty severe and she is so swollen :-(

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
best wishes :(

·
Registered
591 Posts
I lost two kids to sore mouth (aka Orf) because I did not know what it was or how to handle it. This spring I found one of my (healthy) kids dead. A few weeks later I found her twin brother cold and stiff. I rushed him to the vet and after much treatment he slowly recovered. The diagnosis was severe malnutrition/starvation due to Orf (sore mouth) with lesions inside his mouth and on his rectum - and of course hypothermia.
Upon examination of the mom, we found that she too had lesions & scabs on her utters and after watching her I noticed she wouldn’t let him nurse because of the pain so I had to bottle feed him. Then her milk dried up so I basically bottle fed him until he could eat on his own.
The malnutrition had weakened him so much that although he made a full recovery, his system was still very weak and he could never gain back the weight he had lost. I ended up losing him about 6 weeks later to pneumonia.

To my knowledge, you cannot prevent Orf (Sore mouth). Once it’s there, the scabs which fall on the ground are contagious for up to 1 year. The good news is that once an animal gets it, they will never get it again – like chicken pox in humans.
Some things you can do:
1) Clean their feeding/ watering dishes with Clorox regularly
2) Use Gentian Violet to speed up the drying and healing process. Most vets will tell you there is nothing you can use, but with Gentian Violet I found that it dries up the blisters and begins to heal in several days versus several weeks. I think Gentian Violet also numbs the pain because once I applied it to the utters, the moms were willing to let the babies nurse and also, even the most restless of the babies would sit still when I held the gauze soaked in Gentian Violet on their lesions. You can get Gentian Violet at your local pharmacy.
3) Protect yourself ! I cannot stress this enough. Wear gloves, put up your hair so they can’t nibble on it, change your clothes if they nibbled on them, even wear a face mask if you’re going to hold them up close. If you have visitors at the farm, make sure they also protect themselves, wash their hands, use sanitizer, etc. I was very careful until I thought all my goats were through with it, then I let my guard down. Guess who got it last week? Yes, me. Not fun !!!
Orf (Sore Mouth) is not what kills the animals, it is the malnutrition and/or hypothermia. So I would do whatever possible to keep them pain free to make sure they eat and keep their weight up until the scabs heal.
I do wish you the best of luck ! and by the way, if you buy animals make sure you ask whether your new-comers have already had orf. I don’t know how it is your state but in Georgia if you have orf on your farm you have to declare it and they quarantine you until it clears up. You cannot buy, sell or butcher an animal until they are all Orf-free.

·
Registered
591 Posts
By the way, here is a picture of another one of my kids who had it. The lesions were on her lower gums and it was so severe, the blisters & scabs were so thick that they completely covered her teeth. I kept her well fed and she made a full recovery and is doing great.

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
I don't know if this is helpful at all but this is what is in the 2nd edition of Goat Medicine on treatment of sore mouth.

"Numerous products have been used topically, with anecdotal reports of faster healing. However, these products have been used with minimal consideration of meat and milk residues. These include kerosene mixed with lard, penetrating oil spay (WD 40), and bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol)."

It also goes on about keeping the sores soft and pliable. I find the use of Pepto interesting...I've never heard of using that, and I have no idea how it would help at all. It also said that in Boers there are several severe strains that haven't been seen in other breeds.

Anyhoo, I thought this was interesting and possibly helpful. :)

P.S. great job so far with your goaties! I feel so bad for their poor little mouths but you're doing awesome with them :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts