The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will apologize now for the long post but I want to get as much information in as possible...I have a 14 month old numbian in milk. I got her in June and she has been doing great. On Monday my daughter noticed she had some white foam around her mouth. When I got home from work I checked on her and she wasn't eating or drinking like she usually does and she was not her normal self. (She is usally quite active.)
I noticed a cough and she coughed so hard her cud contents went all over me. (First experience with this by the way...not fun!) I called the vet and he came out to check on her. He thought she had the start of an upper respiratory infection. Her temp was 103 (it was 102.6 when I took it earlier.) He gave her a shot of antibiotics and gave me one to give her on Wednesday. After the shot she seemed to perk up and was eating the hay and drinking water. I gave her probiotics mixed with gatorade. Tuesday I gave her probiotics again...she continued to eat her hay, with no interest in her grain. (I feed my goats a 17% goat feed with whole corn mixed in.) Wednesday she was moving a bit and still eating hay and drinking a little water. I gave her her second shot. I did get her to eat an apple...in fact she was so interested in it I gave her two! Thursday she went back to little to no interest in her food, just nibbling on her hay. I gave her more probiotics. This morning I went out and she did not want to get up. She was laying down and I had to pull her to get up. ONce she was up she was walking around, but it took her about 5 minutes to get there. She wasn't showing any interest in hay or water. I went in and got her a banana, apple, probiotics, and gatorade. She would not eat the apple, ate some of the peeling on the banana, and would not touch the probiotics or the gatorade. She did start to eat her hay. Her temp was 102.3.

Her urination and bowel movements are normal. Her eyelids are pink. She still has a little cough. She is normally very vocal but I have only heard her make a sound once since Monday. :( She was de-wormed about a week ago.

Her milk supply has decreased significantly since Monday...I was getting 2 lbs 2xes a day, now I am down to .7lbs 2xes a day. In fact, I did not milk her yesterday because I did not want to stress her out any more. SHe is starting to shed like crazy...

Now for what I feed: the goats have acces to hay 24/7. It is the same supplier I use all the time. They also have acces to baking soda and loose minerals all the time. They are fed the 17% goat feed mixed tih whole corn and sometimes alfalfa pellets 2xes a day. I did run out of the sweet feed last Saturday and gave her alfalfa pellets mixed with corn for both of those milkings.

I am not sure what else to do at this point...I know she is not back to normal yet and I do not want to lose her. She is so sweet and such a great girl. Any suggestions or help would be greatly apprecaited!!!

Thanks,
Jen

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
The foaming then coughing up a cud was most likely choke...when they get choked on something it will cause foam and they will have to cough it up...sounds like her cud got stuck....
temp is with in normal range...I would be treating for enterotoxemia...C D Antitoxin every 6 hours sub Q..this will stop toxins from building in her rumen...
I would give large dose of B complex..( fortified would be better) Daily
Probios once a day

No fruit or grain until she is back to normal...feed hay and green leaves to encourage eating...offer Electrolytes and plain fresh water to encourage her to drink and keep hydrated...

if you do not have or can not find C D antitoxin Milk of Magnesia will help...

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
here is a link on C D Antitoxin....I have to order mine,,, cant find it around here ..

http://goat-link.com/content/view/159/168/#.UfvF4GSDQxc

here is a good recipe for home made electros

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for responding so quickly! I believe I can get the C&D at tractor supply. How much should I give her? She weighs ~ 84 lbs. Also, if I can not find the C&D; how much milk of magnesia should I give her?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link! I was on that site this morning when I was trying to figure out what else to do. I come to this sight regualry and there is always such good information on here; everyone is so nice and helpful!

Where do you buy your molasses?

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
Happy to help :D
Be sure its C D Antitoxin not toxoid..my TSC doesn't carry it any longer, I have to order it from Jeffers..the dose for her would be 20CC ...give only 10cc in one location...so she will need two pokes

M.O.M is 15 CC per 60#

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
you can use any molasses you might have on hand..The unsulphured Black Strap has more nutrients in it and should be able to find it in health food stores ...

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
She sounds like what my vet would call "septic" Do as happybleats suggested and get CD antitoxin (not the CD/T)

remove all grain (and my suggestion is to stop the corn all together for everyone, its not good for them). Only give her bland hay and leaves if she will eat them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did not realize corn was bad for them...I will definately stop feeding it to them. I went out on my lunch break and purchased the ingredients to make the electrolyte solution. I will give that to her as soon as I get home.

I am not able to get the CD Antitoxin until tomorrow; so I picked up some MOM. I will give her that tonight and then start tomorrow with the CD antitoxin. I also picked up the fortified B12 and will give her that tonight as well.

Any suggestions on how long it will be until we start to see improvement?

Thanks again for all of your suggestions! It is so nice to have a community full of fellow goat lovers to go to! :D

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
Yes, corn is a cheap filler with little nutritional value other than it helps warm them in the winter...its hard to digest, too much corn can shut the rumen down....

She needs the c d antitoxin or MOM As soon as possible..it depends on how bad off she as to how long it takes to feel better...a day or two at best...

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
How is she tonight??

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok...I gave her MOM last night, this morning, and this afternoon. She now has (sorry in advance for the desription) slimy, mucousy, greenish colored poo.

I bought her a rose bush and she has eaten some branches from it, she has also eaten some ivy, and some hay.

She wouldn't take her probios this morning so I had to give it to her mixed in some gatorade.

I picked up the antitoxin and am getting ready to administer her first dose

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
The poop is her body cleaning out...the M.O.M. cancause the trotts too so dont worry about that...let it run its course...: ) shes a doll.:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I gave her the cd antitoxin about an hour ago and she seems to have perked up a bit. Is it 9k to continue the M.O.M with the antitoxin?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts