·
Registered
31,103 Posts
I agree with Karen..no need to do both ..C D Antitoxin is better to use

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update...she started to show signs of improvement yesterday. I actually heard her baaa for the first time in a week. She was starting to run with the other goats and even showed an interest in the grain. (Although I wouldn't let her eat it.)

Today she is back to barely eating, low energy, and her movement seems labored. I have the vet coming out to check on her this afternoon. :(

·
Registered
31,103 Posts
Is she running a temp? how much CD antitoxin are you giving? are you giving thiamine or B complex as well?? Hows her poop..Berries??

Hopefully the vet will be able to get her past this slump...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I wonder if she has something stuck in her throat? Seems like we had a similar incident with a calf. WOuld get better, then worse. Always worse after eating good for a day. It died and we cut it open. Large stick sideways in throat was catching the hay and grain. Once the obstruction passed, it would eat again and get stuck again.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The vet came over and I told him everything we had been doing. He said her heart, lungs, and rumen sound great. Eyelids looked great. No signs of any of the typical goat illness. He also noticed she was slow at eating and moving around; and saw her having issues getting up. He gave her another shot of vit. B today and gave her a steroid to increase her apetite and help with any pain she may be having. He named a list of potential diseases (one being CAE) but said it is unlikely because she is showing no signs of nerological distress/symptoms. The vet said it looked like she was just tired and sore. He said let her rest and see if she improves by thursday; if not I am to call them back and we will run some blood work.

The downside is he wants me to discontinue givimg her the cd antitoxin. :( I am not sure I want to do that. (Although her poop is back to pellets with a string of mucous after the 24 hours of the slimy stuff)

He also recommend I separate her from the other goats so she can rest and recooperate comfortably. (I have an alpine who likes to try and assert her dominance in occasions)

·
Registered
31,103 Posts
C D Antitoxin is not harmful...what she does not need she will pee out..It would have been good for him to day why he wants it stopped...I would call him and ask...there could be a reason..I sure would like to know lol

you can read up on it here on this link and decide what you feel is best for your gal..
http://goat-link.com/content/view/159/168/#.UgAoDmSDQxc

On CAE..I would go a head and have her tested fro that and Johnes...Its better to know for her sake so you know what to do for her..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
TDG-Farms,

I don't think it it something poisonous. They are in a run with only access to the hay and feed. I do not put them out to pasture either. I have attached a pic of the run so you can see what is in their environment. The only grass they have os what is in the picture.

ForumRunner_20130805_203333.jpg

ForumRunner_20130805_203357.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I wonder if she has something stuck in her throat? Seems like we had a similar incident with a calf. WOuld get better, then worse. Always worse after eating good for a day. It died and we cut it open. Large stick sideways in throat was catching the hay and grain. Once the obstruction passed, it would eat again and get stuck again.
Loggyacrrslivestock,

I originally thought she may have had something stuck in her throat. When the vet came last week I had him tube her to make sure nothing was in there. The tube went through ok and we didn't see any blockage. Is it possible to tube and still have blockage? (I know this may be a silly question...but at this point I just want to make sure everything is covered.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Is she running a temp? how much CD antitoxin are you giving? are you giving thiamine or B complex as well?? Hows her poop..Berries??

Hopefully the vet will be able to get her past this slump...
Happybleats,

She is not running a temp and I was giving 20cc of the CD antitoxin. Her poop is berries now...it wasn't over the weekend though. I also gave her the vitamin B...4cc of that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thank you everyone for your advice amd words of encouragement!! I really appreciate it...it is so great to have a place to go where people understand.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Our one Pygmy, Razzle, had what we now believe/ know was Cocci at about 12 weeks old. She got very thin very quickly from diarrhea. Our vet strongly opposed my giving her CD antitoxin. Said it has caused complications in some goats. I don't know exactly what the reaction was from it, though.

·
Registered
31,103 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that Saanen have been known to react to C D Antitoxin..although mine never have...the only job C D Antitoxin has is to rid the gut of toxins..whats not used is peed out so I would be interested to know how it can cause issues and what those issues are...Vets can be so vague...Im one who wants to know why and how, and where canI read about that lol....

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
if she is eating hay then check the hay for something poisonous. I had it happen that I was nursing a goatback to health and when she started to feel better she would eat hay and then get sick all over again. I couldnt figure it out. Then I realized it must be the hay and once I removed the hay and got a new bale (at that time I only bought as needed for two goats) she recovered and never had issues. My goat was throwing up though. But some poisonous plants get in pasture and are baled with the hay and unless you are looking for them you wouldnt notice it.

Just somethign to think about since her symptoms come and go

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Stacey,

Thanks for the suggestion!! I didn't think about there potentially being something in the hay. My other goats seem ok; but she had a bit of a cold so maybe it impacted her more.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
its more unlikely BUT since it seems we are all grasping at straws I would put in an experience of mine that might be helpful. maybe not. But its worth looking into. Maybe trying a new bale or even hay from a totally different source if possible.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I do appreciate any suggestions and experiences...this is such a unique case for me.

Here is an update: she is moving better today and her appetite is better. She is going after grain as well. She is vocal again amd running with the other goats.

My concern is that she is appearing better because of the steroid...any one have experience with Dexamethasone? I am trying to research it to see how long the effects would last?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts