The Goat Spot Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
yes dex can help with brain swelling, give them an appetite, and it also can help dry up mucus in lungs. Not sure about how long the effects last though. Usually Ive used it for helping to induce a doe into labor or a newborn kid who had fluid in lungs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thanks Stacey!!

Happybleats,

I asked the vet why we should stop the antitoxin and he said he didn't think she needed it. He said the antitoxin would be good if she had over eating disease but he didn't see signs of that in her. (Sometimes I think vets may not always understand all the benefits of the medicine :))

·
Registered
31,400 Posts
Thanks for letting me know..lol..I thought maybe it does something I was unaware of lol..I think Vets like to think they are in control of the treatment..He didnt prescibe it so she dont need it lol....
I say you give it as long as you think she needs it :D

·
Registered
31,400 Posts
here is a bit of light reading of Dex :D

http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB...sidue_Limits_-_Report/2009/11/WC500013655.pdf

here is important info to be aware of from Goat-link.com

3) Dexamethasone Injectable (Rx): Because it's a corticosteroid, this very inexpensive painkiller and anti-inflammatory med actually causes the patient to feel euphoric (very happy). It's commonly provided by veterinarians as an adjunct (supportive therapy) to whatever curative treatment is used on the goat. However you, the owner, should be aware that dexamethasone, as well as all other corticosteroids, will disconnect the animal's own immune system while in its body, thus making the patient unable to help itself to get well! In fact, if the cause of the goat's illness is of viral origin, the use of dexamethasone, leaving its immune system non-functional, could actually CAUSE ITS DEATH. Banamine (see below), while more costly for the veterinarian to provide to you, is NOT a steroid and will do exactly the same job of providing adjunct support to the patient, WITHOUT disconnecting its immune system in the effort!

There is neither any logic nor any reason whatsoever to support using both dexamethasone and Banamine together, at the same time, in the same patient .
Switching to Banamine if you can might be a good idea...Sine it does the same thing with less risk...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks for the link!

I asked the vet about banamine and he had said he wanted to give her dex because it would increase her appetite. Fortunately he gave her a very low dose and it was only once. She has not had medicine since monday and so far she is holding her own. I hope this means we are getting better!!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
jcox- I think if the vet tubed her and it went through with no problems or complaints by the goat, she is clear of obstruction.

Since she is feeling better and more vocal, I would think that as well.
Glad to hear it!

·
Registered
31,400 Posts
If she needs long term anti-inflamatory care..I would switch to banamine..but for short term use..Dex is good at its job
B complex also helps with appetite...

Glad she is beginning to feel better...

41 - 47 of 47 Posts