The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had seen a post on here a little while back aboutsomeone's goats accidently getting into chicken feed.. I was trying to find that post.

:panic: But here is what happened to me and I need your input... and need to know if I have anything to worry about. This afternoon my teenage daughter wanted to go out to the barn and brush my 3 goats; one of which is a 3 month old kid. I went out to the barn at 8pm tonight to put all the animals to bed. This is when I noticed chicken pellets left in my feeder that is connected to my milking stantion. I remembered reading a similar post on this forum and remembered it was a big NO-NO! I was, and still am, so sick to my stomach to think my goat will be sick because of this. What happened was my daughter thought it was goat feed because my goat feed and chicken feed bag look similar. I buy the
"Poulin Grain" brand for my goats as well for my chickens. She told me she fed all 3 goats the chicken feed. I asked her how much and she said the amount it took to brush each one! I ripped the chicken label off to look for any ingredients that could be bad for goats.. but I don't know what I am looking for. It has been several hours since the goats were fed chicken feed and they all looked fine at 8pm.
1 is the dam.. my milker
1 is her 3 mo old kid
1 is a doe

PLEASE HELP! Will I have sick goats.. or worse, dead goats in the morning? Or will it be simple like a tummy ach?

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
I had a situation the other night....my doeling got pushy and ate more than her share of her and her buddies grain. She started with scours....I let her eat as much baking soda as she wanted. She ate roughly 2 tbsps. I also gave her a shot of cd antitoxin, added probiotic powder to her water and drenched her with 2 tbsp of pepto....she ended up fine, and only 2-3 episodes of scours.
I want to clarify, I saw 2 pile of scours and her backside and started all that immediately.I almost lost a goat to enterotoxemia in the past, so I don't fool around with overeating at all!
I would at least offer baking soda to stave off bloat, and I personally would give cd antitoxin.
Good luck!

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
You will need to keep a watch. They could be fine but if they begin with the runs or act in pain cd antitoxin is needed or milk of magnesia would help in a pinch. No feed for a bit. Hay only along with plenty of water or electrolytes. The dose for mom is 15cc per 60 pounds. Cd antitoxin is 1cc per5 pounds sub q

·
1,524 Posts
The problem with chicken feed is more the sudden change of diet or them getting loose and eating way more than they normally have. Those are what is more apt to cause problems to the goats. Some chicken feeds contain medication that goats should not have. But basically chicken feed is pretty much the same as commercial goat feed, just way higher in corn. Was it layer pellets or medicated chick starter?

If you are concerned, give your goats some baking soda boluses and a large dose of Vit B complex. Watch for bloat or gut pain. Don't grain them for the next meal or 2.

Unless your daughter gave them a ton of grain, they should be fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Razzle, one of our two Pygmy does, got diarrhea around 11 weeks old, and we knew she had climbed into the chicken side of our mini barn through the tiny chicken door and gobbled up feed. It was the medicated starter type. We treated her with pepto and also started antibiotics before getting a fecal back showing cocci. We assumed it was both chicken feed and cocci causing it, and she was scary sick for almost a week.

She had been all better for several weeks when my teenage son left the large divider door ajar or unlatched between the goats and chickens!!! We didn't think much chicken feed was gone by morning, to our shock. And the goats did not get sick at all, miraculously, we thought. It the unmedicated laying pellets this time. I was SO upset with my son though!

Fast forward to this week. He put the goats to bed, and in the morning we found the divider door open AGAIN! Our son has special needs, and we thought we just have to supervise him more closely and prayed the goats would be ok. Later that day WE FIND THE DIVIDER DOOR AJAR AGAIN!!! And chicken feed everywhere! Thanking God (literally) that again our goats did not get sick!

We really think the goats are opening the latch! It's 4+ feet off the ground and these are Pygmy goats! But my teenagers say they've seen Dazzle stand on the edge of their sleep platform which is about 18" high at the top rail, and try to reach the latch! It's the kind that you press in on the rocker thing at the top and it pivots and releases. Needless to say we have a snap lock hook thru the latch now. Could they really figure out how to open a latch???

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Razzle, one of our two Pygmy does, got diarrhea around 11 weeks old, and we knew she had climbed into the chicken side of our mini barn through the tiny chicken door and gobbled up feed. It was the medicated starter type. We treated her with pepto and also started antibiotics before getting a fecal back showing cocci. We assumed it was both chicken feed and cocci causing it, and she was scary sick for almost a week.

She had been all better for several weeks when my teenage son left the large divider door ajar or unlatched between the goats and chickens!!! We didn't think much chicken feed was gone by morning, to our shock. And the goats did not get sick at all, miraculously, we thought. It the unmedicated laying pellets this time. I was SO upset with my son though!

Fast forward to this week. He put the goats to bed, and in the morning we found the divider door open AGAIN! Our son has special needs, and we thought we just have to supervise him more closely and prayed the goats would be ok. Later that day WE FIND THE DIVIDER DOOR AJAR AGAIN!!! And chicken feed everywhere! Thanking God (literally) that again our goats did not get sick!

We really think the goats are opening the latch! It's 4+ feet off the ground and these are Pygmy goats! But my teenagers say they've seen Dazzle stand on the edge of their sleep platform which is about 18" high at the top rail, and try to reach the latch! It's the kind that you press in on the rocker thing at the top and it pivots and releases. Needless to say we have a snap lock hook thru the latch now. Could they really figure out how to open a latch???
Pygmy goats are very very intelligent. My Peggy Sue lives inside with us and has figured out how to use doorknobs by watching. We have to lock her bedroom door at night or she gets into the kitchen and eats all the bread!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pygmy goats are very very intelligent. My Peggy Sue lives inside with us and has figured out how to use doorknobs by watching. We have to lock her bedroom door at night or she gets into the kitchen and eats all the bread!
OH MY GOODNESS! What little stinkers! We have to be way more careful, then. I guess it is like having a few toddlers around the house again. :lovey::lovey:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Where do you purchase cd antitoxin? We don't currently have an issue but I'd like to have some on hand for emergency situations. Is it through a vet only?

·
17 Posts
Though I’m still new to goats, ours have been trouble with anything that looks like a feed sack. We got the goats from a place that fed commercial ration and they will practically attack you over a bag of feed and eat themselves stupid if they manage to get in somewhere were you have some. Initially, the goats never went in the coop, they avoided it completely. However, like my garden, they learned they could find things to do and eat in there and eventually started to scope out the coop. I wondered why the chickens were suddenly going through so much feed until I walked in on the (at the time) trio devouring the feed as though they didn’t have 13 acres of fresh pasture to eat.

Oh my goodness, I was angry. I found out from someone that layer ration can cause goats to have Urinary Tract Infections if they get too much of it. My goats have never had problems even after devouring nearly an entire bag between the three of them. I now spend a few minutes when I let the chickens out hiding their feed. I used to close off one of the breeding pens and keep it in there, but since they crashed through the OTHER breeding pen to get the feed, I now keep them as far from the goats as possible, often bringing them into the garage where they can’t get into.

Whether it’s barley, commercial feed, oats or something that’s not even livestock feed (like cat and dog food), my goats are interested. If it’s in a BAG my goats want at it. I work hard to keep them away and out of it, sometimes it happens and I forget – that’s the trouble with free ranging goats, which is, of course, my decision.

I agree with another poster here, really most of the ingredients of commercial feeds are the same aside from the minerals supplied in different amounts. I had one goat end up with bloat but that was while she was on pasture and I’m still not sure what did consumed to end up with it, a mushroom perhaps?

·
Registered
54 Posts
We keep our goats and chickens together I feed layer to chickens our goats turn their noses up to it thank god, we keep the chicks in a dog run with chicken wire around bottom to keep them in and goat out of starter feed. The only problem we have is keeping the hens out of the goat grain when we feed it.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts