The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the Goat Spot and hope I can get some advice. I am very worried about my pregnant 3 year old Nigerian dwarf goat. She is a FF...On Tuesday I noticed she had separated herself from the rest Of the goats and her bag was pretty full. I brought her into her kidding area that evening. After checking on her all night nothing major seemed to happen. Later in the day on Wednesday it seemed like she had gone into labor and I saw her water break. She did do some pushing but after a while she stopped and the labor seemed to stall. Vet came out Thursday morning and did an examination finding that she wasn’t not very dilated. He had said that we should still give it a few days and see what would happen but he was leaning towards the likelihood of mispositioned kid or twisted uterus. He said most likely her baby would or had already had passed due to her water breaking and no signs of labor again. I am at a loss, please if anyone had advice I would greatly appreciate it. I don’t want to lose her but I also don’t want her to suffer unnecessarily. We don’t know the due date as one of our males jumped the fence. They get fed a good quality grass hay, a mix of goat feed, beet pulp sunflower seeds, kelp meal and some yeast as well as their goat minerals and get copper bolused... please help so we can do our best by her. As of today she is up and walking around, continues to have some bloodyish discharge, eating and drinking ok but obviously very uncomfortable with such a full udder. Any advice would be helpful thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
If she was pushing and water broke. She needs a cesarean or to be induced (with lute, and/or dex) NOW! That is not good at all. I don't understand why the vet did nothing! What is her temp? Can you get a picture of her udder/back end? Bloody discharge is never, ever, a good sign with a pregnant goat. What does her back end smell like? Stinky? Have you checked her ENTIRE pen? No dead kids or placenta anywhere? Perhaps what you saw wasn't pushing, not the water. At least I hope it wasn't for the sake of the doe, and kids. If that's the case inducing WILL kill the kids if they are not ready. How do her ligaments feel? When was the last date she was with the buck(if you know)?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Definitely not a good vet :( If he suspected a dead kid, or twisted uterus he should have at the least prescribed antibiotics and given lute to dilate and cause her into labor to expel the contents of her uterus, or recommend a C-section.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Definitely looks like she is/or was ready to go. Have you checked the entire area she is allowed in for a dead baby or placenta? Maybe try and bump her to see you can feel anything left in her. If you can, I would get lute and induce her. Do not give oxytocin with a closed cervix. Lute should help her dilate again, and start pushing. If not she will need a C-section, or if that's not something you can do, unfortunately, you may need to put her down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might be able to call a farmer down the road and see if he has some lute. If he doesn’t I will call the vet. If he does how much do I administer and how IM SQ?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Okay. I would try and bump her. Go over top of her, put your hands around her belly right in Fort of the udder and bounce her belly, gently, but firmly. If there is baby in there(sound like there is) you will feel it hit back on your hand. Normally feels bumpy and hard.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Lute, 2cc. IM. Will take 24-46 hours before active labor. Normally takes about 30-36. You should see signs of labor within a few hours of the shot. I normally see a lot of stretching within minutes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have tried to bump her. I felt something hard but no movement. I did the same to another pregnant goat of ours and felt movement. I am assuming we have a dead kid/s I will do it again and

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Okay. Your best bet right now then is the lute. You may not always feel movement, but at this point. Yes, I think you are definitely right about the dead kid :( After lute is given, watch super close for signs something may be wrong.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
That is great new! I'm gonna be sitting and watching this thread on the edge of my seat. Praying for the best outcome for you, your girl, and hopefully her baby :hug:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Alright. Come on girl(pray)

Lute goes deep IM. Within 10-15 minutes I normally see some stretching going on. She may go a lot sooner(within hours) if she is already ready to get it out of her. Be prepared to pull kids if necessary. Of course have a vets number(and emergency number) on hand if anything appears wrong.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts