The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pygmy doe of unknown age, health, everything, is not acting right. She is very stiff legged, kind of starry eyed, and hunched up. She's been slower than usual lately, not coming to food as fast as she was...

She got a dose of Quest Plus wormer yesterday, half a cc. Along with some Red Cell because she was severely anemic(eyelids and gums white). She is underweight(probably due to the worms) and has a rough dull coat. Could she be overdosed?

She may be pregnant, her udder seems to be bigger than it was yesterday, could she be in labor? Her rump is so steep and short that I can't really feel her ligs. She isn't pawing or anything...

We moved her to our backyard, but while we we walking her she fell over and couldn't get up by herself, just stuck her legs out. I helped her up and she kept going just as before, stiff but up. She's eating well, haven't seen her poop or eat. She's burping so no bloat...

Please help, I don't know what's wrong :(

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know...I can't take it. Asked mom for thermometer and she won't let me use it because we only have the one....I fell terrible I can't do anything! We can't get a vet out because it's after hours and my mom refused to pay that money even when my cat got sick.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
I would start her on Thiamine or fortified B complex...if you dont have any but have regualr B complex give her a healthy dose of that..
labor will not haveher falling over..
If her eye lids are pale she needs you to conitnue the red cell 6 cc per 100# daily for a week then weekly until color returns...
Quest womer mightnot meet her needs...try Ivomec plus
hows her poop? berries or runny?
Off ehr her green leaves, alfalfa and if she is pooping berries high protien feed to help her rebuild red blood cells..
here is a home made recipe for electrolytes to help keep her hydrated

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses (or what you have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
I might also put her on antibiotics is you feel she seems feverish...even with out a temp...what do you have on hand?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok we have like nothing...my parents don't like to buy anything unless we need it. We got in contact with our "goat mentor" and she's going to bring over a lot of stuff to help get her feeling better. All sorts of vitamins, Bo-Se...We put sorghum(we don't have molasses) in her water, gave her some red cell and yogurt....hopefully she'll be good till tomorrow.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
glad you have someone coming to look at her ...fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By now I'm almost certain she got into some Horsetail and now has Thiamin deficiency...I've seen a goat with it before and she acts just like it. Except for the fact that she's still eating. I'm going to let the lady whos coming out take a look at her and see what she thinks, then mention it. I don't know if she has Polio or Listeriosis yet so I'd like to see anything else she might suggest.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Start her on thiamine and pen g to treat both as qwerty as cd an toxin, activated charcoal or milk of magnesia to bind the poison . Don't wait.. Treat now ! The longer she suffers the harder it will be for her to recover

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, we figured out she has pneumonia :( She was so weak at this point that she could hardly eat, even though she wanted to. We started her on PenG, Vit B Complex, Bo-Se, VetRx(for respiratory help), and another shot I forgot....she gave us vaccines for all the other goats, a bottle of Vit B, along with copper boluses and herbal wormer. She also gave us Probios and Nich Quick Start just to help her along. She'll be back on Saturday to assess her and give her a shot of LA200 to clear everything up. She was so great, she helped with everything and I think without her the goat would have died. She was feeling better nearly immediately after that Bo-Se. We was able to bend her legs and eat well. We honestly couldn't have done anything without her. :)

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Its great to have help :D Hope she recovers well for you...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so we vaccinated the other pygmy and my 4 month old ND doeling with Bar Somnus 2P. 2cc each in the back leg/thigh IM(as reccomended by our goat lady). We also gave the sick pygmy her B Complex shot IM(it was so dark it would be hard to tell if we hit a vein with SubQ). We rubbed the area where we gave the shot on all the does. Is it typical that when given IM it's sore? Both of the vaccinated does are limping bad and hardly putting any weight on the leg, and the sick doe is still a bit weak, but I'm pretty sure she's limping at least a little. My mom is really worried she hurt them with the shot and if I don't find out that this is normal she probably won't help me with another shot again lol.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
IM does hurt and can cause limping...they wil be ok..I feel bad when I make mine limp or bleed...but they always forgive me..DO try to give it Sub Q if at all possible...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Ok so we vaccinated the other pygmy and my 4 month old ND doeling with Bar Somnus 2P. 2cc each in the back leg/thigh IM(as reccomended by our goat lady). We also gave the sick pygmy her B Complex shot IM(it was so dark it would be hard to tell if we hit a vein with SubQ). We rubbed the area where we gave the shot on all the does. Is it typical that when given IM it's sore? Both of the vaccinated does are limping bad and hardly putting any weight on the leg, and the sick doe is still a bit weak, but I'm pretty sure she's limping at least a little. My mom is really worried she hurt them with the shot and if I don't find out that this is normal she probably won't help me with another shot again lol.
My ND limped for 2 days after a LA 200 shot then was fine it does hurt u may have hurt nerve time will tell but could take a few days for them to walk ok

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Ok so we vaccinated the other pygmy and my 4 month old ND doeling with Bar Somnus 2P. 2cc each in the back leg/thigh IM(as reccomended by our goat lady).
I never give any kind of medication or vaccinations in the back leg - always in the neck, regardless of whether it is IM or SQ.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well with the neck I'm worried about hitting something I shouldn't...I'll try and convince my mom to do SubQ, she's worried about doing anything(she's a nurse) because she doesn't know where all the muscles,veins, etc. are on a goat and she doesn't want to hurt them. I tried to find some extra skin in her armpit to do SubQ(this is where a breeder told me to do them) but she's so thin that she has almost none. I'll try her shoulder maybe tomorrow, if not we'll figure something out. Luckily the two that are limping the worst don't have to take anymore shots, but the one doe still needs vit B daily.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
I agree with Karen..just lift a tent up right where the neck meets the body as Karen said...Lotsof loose skin there...;)

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
The problem with giving in the back of the leg is there is a nerve that runs down the back...hit that and you can cause quite a bit of damage...;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts