Please help, sick kid emergency :(

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sable, May 11, 2010.

1. Sable

Sable New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    One of my six week old kids is not well, and after calling around to find a vet to treat her, the one I found didn't seem to know their head from a hole in the ground when it comes to goats :(

Yesterday morning I had to wake her up to move her, she is usually wild. By yesterday evening she had got worse and looked dull/sleepy. She was somewhat bloated so I stayed up all night with her trying to treat the bloat. She would not lay down all night, she still hasn't layed down since. Her temperature has been between 103.3-104.4. She does not want to eat anything but will take a bottle. I've given her vitamins and electrolytes with probiotics tonight. She just wanders and staggers, trying to lean against things to sleep. The vet diagnosed a non-descript infection/virus and has prescribed ampicillin. She thought the normal temperature for a goat was 99F. The kid has been stomach tubed and some gas has come out. She last pooped by herself last night, the vet gave her an enema but didn't get much out of her.

I didn't think she was going to make it to the vet alive. She fell over in the pet carrier with her head under her body and couldn't get up.

She has had a little foam around her mouth. The end of her tongue is blue and has been all day.

She's had Banamine, baking soda, Pepto Bismol, olive oil, and two shots of ampicillin. Please help, I can't stand to lose her.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With all that she has had, take her temp again, if it has come down the antibiotic is working. You may want to have the vet run a fecal as babies can have a cocci overload without getting diarhea. Another is to be sure she stays hydrated, if her belly still feels bloaty, try rubbing it and of course if she'll take a bottle give it.
    1-2 CC of B complex will help with her appetite, you may also want to get her on a Cocci treatment with Albon, DiMethox or Corrid.

I understand your fears, having a sick baby is very scary especially when they go down so fast. :hug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    not sure if you know but a normal temp it 101-103 so she had a high temp check like LIz said to see if its going down.

I would also have her stools checked for coccidia and worms.

She sounds dehydrated. i would tube her with some electrolytes or see if she will take it from a bottle. She may need SQ fluids.

4. Sable

Sable New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Her temp at 10am was 104.5. Tonight it is wavering between 103.3 and 103.5. She drank 16oz of electrolytes/vitamins/probiotics when we got home about three hours ago and didn't need any encouragement. She just will not lay down. Her belly feels large and hard, rather than her rumen. Still no poop tonight but she did pee when I took her outside just now. I don't doubt she's dehydrated as it was dark and there wasn't a whole lot. It was encouraging that she showed some interest in a few bits of hay and weeds. I left her in a pen with her sister in the barn for now, perhaps she will settle better there. I'll keep checking on her tonight, I think she'd rather be out there than in the house. I just wish she could lay down and sleep, she dozes off leaning against the wall or propping her head on something. Her tongue doesn't look normal to me, it hangs out the side of her mouth sometimes.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    possibly polio? Do you have any B Complex?

6. Sable

Sable New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    I can possibly get some tomorrow. The ranch vet is coming to geld some horses, if she's no better I will ask him to look at her (he's not much of a goat person, but he knows a lot about cattle). We may also have some around, is it like a vitamin B injection?

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes if you have B1 thats even better

8. Sable

Sable New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    We don't have any, but I will ask him if he can bring some tomorrow (unfortunately we're a long way from town). I just checked on her and she is laying down asleep, so fingers crossed she will be better in the morning. I don't think there's much else I can do but try and get some rest, it's probably best for her to be left alone for a while. Thanks so much for your help :)

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    b1 sounds like it would help.

good luck on the little one :)

10. Sable

Sable New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Things are looking a little better this morning. I honestly thought she was going to pass last night. Her temperature is 102.1, and when she got up she pooped a fair bit and peed good pale urine. She did lay down to sleep, albeit in a strange position. Her eyes look a bit brighter too. I'm a little relieved that at least her digestive system is working and nothing is blocked.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats great that all things are functioning :)

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad there is improvement.... :thumb: :hug:

13. Sable

Sable New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Things have taken a turn for the worse tonight, she is drowsy and just stands around hanging her head. I gave her Banamine yesterday afternoon, is it too soon to give her more?

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    What is her temp? Banamine is usually given once a day for a max of 3 days I think. How much are you giving her?

15. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    This sounds like polio or listerosis. Penicillin and B-1 is about the only thing that will help.

16. Sable

Sable New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Her temperature is 102.9. She had Banamine yesterday, on Tuesday and on Monday. She had 0.3cc each time. She is on penicillin but I can't find vitamin B anywhere. I'll try further afield tomorrow.

17. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Do you have any human type B complex? even those will help if nothing else is available. Any drug store will have the B-1 pills. They also have B-12 which will help her appetite. I wish you were closer as I would give you whatever you needed.

Also you said she was bloated, how much olive oil did she get?

18. Sable

Sable New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    I have Red Cell for horses, would that help for tonight?

Yesterday she pooped and peed a lot, today she is peeing but i've only seen her poop once and it was mucousy. She also passed some white foam this afternoon. We're literally in the middle of nowhere :( Nearest town is 52 miles away and everything is closed. I feel horrible.

She only had a little olive oil. Yesterday she perked up and nibbled at some food, today she's only interested in bottles and a few elm leaves.

19. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    PM sent, let me know if you don't get it due to post count.

20. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    could it be enterotexemia? what dp you treat with for that? How about getting some activated charcoal in her to try to soak up toxins?