PLEASE HELP! Swolen lips and white califlower looking spots

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mhuckeba, Mar 4, 2011.

1. mhuckeba

mhuckeba New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Oh my goodness, so I noticed that one of my goats has swollen lips!!! When I first got him, the vet treated him for pneumonia. He got over his lung stuff but never seemed to stop tearing. I had shavings in their barn so I switched to straw thinking that would help. No such luck. I tried colloidal silver for a few days and it seemed to help but as soon as I stopped, back to tearing. So I decided to try antibiotics. I was going to start this morning and just ran out of time and noticed his lips looked funny, swollen like. I shrugged it off and decided I was going to give him meds anyway this afternoon. Well I went to give him his shot and he ate so much today his belly was really tight and I couldn't get enough skin to do it subq. I put him in my stand and got a good look at his mouth. His WHOLE mouth is swollen. It looks cauliflower like. His tongue has all of this white stuff all over it and the roof of his mouth. WHAT COULD THIS BE! :hair: I do not know what to do. I did end up getting about 1cc of antibiotics in him. He kept moving even with my husbands help.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: PLEASE HELP! Swolen lips and white califlower looking sp

sounds like possible Sore Mouth or just an infection of the mouth

If sore mouth you want to treat him while wearing gloves as it is transmittable to humans. Most of the time sore mouth has to run its course beings its a virus. I hear soaking the sores with epsome salts helps to dry out the sores and aids in the healing process.

if its an infection in the mouth then he needs to be on a strong antibiotic. What did your vet give you for antibiotic?

3. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon

It also sounds to me like soremouth. I had a sheep with it. I got it on my face. It really sucked, so be very careful when touching it! I was instructed to put iodine on the sores but I don't know if it really helped. It dried them up some. It will eventually go away but can be spread to your other goats if you have any, so isolate him.

4. mhuckeba

mhuckeba New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    San Diego, CA

Oh my goodness! How do I isolate him and keep him happy alone? I only have one shed for them. We planned on building another this weekend on Sunday but I don't know what we would do until then. I am not sure what the vet gave him. It was very little and only 2 doses IM. I gave him some oxytetracyclin. I went to the feed store to get the tylon 200 for my other goat and they told me it was the same thing. I did some research for dosing and found out that is not the case. So that is all I have. So he got some of that tonight. Poor thing kept moving around sooo much and I think the needle may have jabbed him in the muscle. He looked like he was in a lot of pain. I sat there with him to make sure he was ok. Also, I am usually really good about washing my hands when I come in from messing with the goats because I have a young daughter but now I am doubting if I washed my hands. I am freaking out! I have only had goats for a few weeks and I feel like they are falling apart!

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

I am so sorry.....I felt the same way when I first brought mine home almost 4yrs ago.....in time you will relax and take things in stride....it seems that when you have farm animals there is always something. I have no advice as far as his mouth, as I have never had anything like that......but I do know how you are feeling about falling apart....hugs to you!

6. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa

:sigh: there are several kinds of sore mouth...sounds like you have one of the nastier versions....he may have trouble eating like this so make sure he has plenty of water. this can be awful for babies, because they can't nurse with thier mouths so sore but if he's older it will be tough but he will be alright. just don't want any secondary infections manifesting in the sores. check out the onion creek ranch health management articles for extra help...it's hard to treat on the inside of the mouth like that...sounds like you gave a antibiotic so that should be good. they only get this once and never again! I would be concerned with babies picking up these germs in the future....chances are if he has been with other goats at this point they will most likely get it too.
    It sucks, but I think it will be ok......

7. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
  8. mhuckeba

mhuckeba New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    San Diego, CA

Ok thank you guys so much. I do have a little lamb that has most likely come into contact with this. So I guess everyone will get their "chicken pox" out of the way. He does seem to be eating like normal. I separate everyone and they all have their own dish. This helps me to know who is eating what and how much, and he ate everything! Thanks again for all of your help!

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I'm doubting it's sore mouth. It sounds to me like a yeast infection of the mouth, which only happens when the immune system is really really low. He needs antifungals which you would need to get from your vet. Antibiotics is going to make it worse, so I wouldn't give any more unless he has a temp.

Really you need to get him into the vet in order to treat him right.

It may still be sore mouth so I would still isolate him and anyone else exposed as well as wear gloves while handling him.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Do you have a picture?

Have you looked up sore mouth to see if his symptoms and sores resemble it?

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Pics would help.......so we can see what it may be..... :hug:

12. mhuckeba

mhuckeba New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    San Diego, CA

I will post a picture when I get home tonight. I did take him to the vet, figured better be safe than sorry. So they said it really does not look like the typical sore mouth. She is thinking more of an allergic reaction. I just switched from cob wet to goat feed so he is going back on cob wet. She also told me to go ahead with the antibiotics and benadryl (sp?) and see what happens. If he is not better by Monday I am to call her. We will see. I will keep you posted! Thanks so much guys!

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Wow a allergic reaction.... bizarre... :shocked: ...glad you took him to the vet.... praying that he will be OK... Poor guy... :hug: :pray: