PLEASE HELP......URGENT MEDICAL QUESTION 2 weeks old boer!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cjpup, Apr 11, 2008.

1. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    I need some real seriouse help here. I have 2 2 week old boar does with diarrhea. They have had diarrhea for quite a while now. Yesterday, I put them on just gatorade and baking soda, no milk. I feared Enterotoxemia (sp?) so i gave them some M.O.M to help them flush their systems. Last night, the diarrhea got so bad it was pretty much yellow water. It would drip from their rears even when they were not pottying. In light of this, I gave them some Pepto (about 14 hrs from the M.O.M so that it wouldnt cause a problem). Now, one of the girls (Aries) has Green and Gray poops!!! Its not liquid anymore but still, I have NEVER EVER seen this color!! What can it mean. The other doe (Cassi) had Green-ish but right consistency yesterday at about noon and then went to the drippy yellow.

What do you guys suggest? I have another post I will link to this one so you guys can read the back story.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

CJ
    http://www.finepygmypals.com

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Do you have temps on them and does it smell bad? Have you ruled out Cocci?

3. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    Here is the other link: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2855

Both girls have been ranging from 101.7-100.7 (please note that we have been having fluctuations in wether too). The green stuff does smell bad but no blood. I dont think Cocci but then again, I have never dealt with it before.

CJ

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    This is based on reading only- I have never had what you found going on. I would bet that the grey is due to milk passing through undigested.
    Cocci, to my understanding, has a 21 day maturity timeframe so, although they are close to the proper age, it is a little early for that. So I would suspect E Coli. There are mentions of E coli treatment here somewhere- since this is only what I remember reading, i would research here and other sites to check it out. I would be tempted to give them some colostrum too just on the premise that it might have something they need and not be harmful if they don't.
    The nice thing about treating with s sulfa drug for treating Cocci is that I have read that it will help with E Coli too.
    One thing I have heard is that electrolytes can interfer with babies digesting milk but I have not yet researched that so don't know if the interference is a good thing or not.

5. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    Babies do not absorb coloctrum more than 24 hrs after birth, there membranes become to thick. I did give them colostrum when I first got them, even though they were over 24 hrs.

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Found this on another site-
    Salmonella is a fairly common disease in all farm animals. It does not usually occur in kids under 2 weeks of age. The feces have been described as "grayish green" or "yellow to brown." Which covers about anything! But they can be distinguished from the bright yellow feces of E. coli which occurs in the first few days of life.
    There will probably be a high temperature. The feces will have a foul odor and greasy appearance and probably contain a significant amount of blood, mucous and/or shreds of mucous membranes. The kid will appear dull and may stop nursing.

Treatment

The latest thinking is to avoid oral antibiotics. Rather use oral electrolytes and give LA200® injections. Treatment must be pretty vigorous and you may find that there are several in the herd which are infected. Good sanitation is a must.

Doesn't match the fever thing but only grey poops I found

7. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    Here are pics of the girls: [​IMG]

The one closest to the camera is Cassi and the other is Aries. This was before they got all messed up!

The common syptom mentioned is the grey poop. They have no fever, no blood, no mucous, and do not act dull. I dont think its salmonella. Thank you so much for looking that up though! :p

CJ

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Here's the E Coli thing from the smae site-
    E. coli

12/27/01

Tends to occur in very young kids, under 5 days of age. It is generally yellowish in color (sometimes called "bright" yellow). It is also known as "white scours" but you will generally note the yellow color. There may be "profuse" amounts of watery diarrhea because the organism actually causes the colon to secrete water (in addition to the fluid or milk that is ingested). The kid may or may not have a fever (temp may even be below normal). It may stop nursing. There can be rapid dehydration, an arched back or a hunched appearance. Blindness is common at the peak of the illness. The organisms can be acquired at birth, through filthy bedding, orally or through the navel. This is always to be considered a very serious ailment.
    Treatment

Treatment must begin at once with oral antibiotics and electrolytes. Broad spectrum injectible antibiotics such as pen G is also recommended. Treatment must be prompt and vigorous if it is to succeed. Prenatal vitamin A shots given to the dam 3 weeks before birth and a good dose of colostrum given to the kid at birth go a long way toward prevention.

9. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    That sounds more like it.

If its Ecoli, Do we put them back on milk? How much and how often? We have LA 200, will that work instead of Pen G? What about the green-gray poop? It hasnt been constant yellow watery poop?

Does there personality change with ecoli? They just seem like happy, normal kids.....

CJ

10. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I've never dealt with it but some one here has_ I remember something about a husband grading dirt and a flurry of E Coli afterwards. I would think that without a fever, the kids will not be depressed until they are very weak.
    I hope you are able to help them- they are adorable.

11. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    I had kids with e-coli before ... the poo was mustardy yellow and the treatment for the e-coli that I used was Scour Halt - which worked well.

12. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    Is it scour halt for pigs?

How much scour halt? how often? Should I put them baxck on there milk? or stick with Electrolytes? Do the symptoms sound the same to you Julie?

THANKS!
    CJ

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am sorry, i have no idea what to tell you because it sounds like it has all been said.
    I have to tell you that those babies and that donkey are so cute. i just love that picture.

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wish i had an amount for the scour halt but I would say a couple ccs should do it. Yes it is the scour halt for pigs

Give them also a dose of LA 200 as it is a stronger antibiotic then PenG

1cc per 20lbs so they probably need no more then 1/2cc You give this IM or SQ - IM is faster though

15. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    I have been doing Scour halt once a day for 2 days now with milk 3 times a day and electrolytes in between. They seem to be getting better but are still greenish. THey are starting to get the yellowish back though. My internet is down so I cant realkly reply much. Im sorry.

CJ

16. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I finally looked up the effect of electrolytes on milk digestion- it seem that giving electrolytes and milk together inhibitites the neccessary coagulation of milk in the stomach. So giving electrolytes 30 minutes before the milk meal will avoid the problem. So you way of doing the electrolytes between milk meals is perfect.

17. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    They've been on scour halt for 2 1/2 days now, twice a day and have been on my previous described schedule of milk and electrolites but they still have light gree runny poop but not like water. Should I go ahead and dose with the LA 200? Is there anything else you guys can think of for me to do?
    Thank you!
    cj

18. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I don't know what the active ingredient in Scour Halt is- I would think it's similar to the antibiotic in LA200 but could be a sulfa. LA 200 should be effective against E Coli. I would worry about doing both at the same time if it is the ame antibiotic.
    But again, I have never dealt with this so ????

19. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    The active ingredient in Spectam Scour Halt is spectinomycin. The active ingredient in LA 200 is oxytetracycline. Anybody know if this is compatable? Can I give LA200 on top of the Scour Halt?

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sorry CJ that i dont' know. Why not give it a good 12 hours between using the one after the other.