Please help very sick doeling!! Answer please!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NewbieNigerians, Jan 1, 2014.

1. NewbieNigerians

NewbieNigerians New Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Hello we have a Nigerian dwarf doeling that's about 5 months old. Sunday morning we went down to our barn and found her sort of standing. Her back legs were straight up and her left leg was folded underneath her completely limp. We brought her up to the house in our "sick goat cage" in our garage. She had and is still having boogers fron her eyes and was grinding her teeth so we gave her aspirin with mollasses diluted in hot water and gave it to her in a syringe every little while. The problem is the aspirin also had caffeine and now after giving her the drench for two days she is running around, putting weight in her front leg now but she is walking in her water dish, maaing really loud and trying to get out. Please help this is my sisters most favorite goat we are taking her to the vet on Thursday and any advice till then? Thanks!

2. Used2bmimi

Used2bmimi New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Western Colorado
    It sounds like she is better then? I'm sorry, what would you like to know.

3. Cactus_Acres

Cactus_Acres New Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Southeast Wyoming
    It also sounds like she is panicked because you have removed her from all contact with other goats, which can exacerbate an already stressful situation. Can you move her where she can at least see other goats? Stress will not help her get well faster.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm not understanding. If she was standing, how could her back legs be straight up? Was this a front left leg that was folded? Is she using it now? What is her temp?

5. NewbieNigerians

NewbieNigerians New Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Yeriginally we had her with another goat, but we went online and her symptoms looked like she had the arthritic form of CAE, so we didn't want the other doeling to get infected as well. But would the caffeine also make her run around?

Kslvango, I meant she was standing, so yeah her back legs would be straight, not folded underneath her. Her left front leg she won't put any weight on till today. I guess my main question (sorry the long winded back story original post) is should we stop giving her the aspirin with the caffeine in it, or of her running around us because she is lonely, as cactus_acres suggested.

6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    sounds like a few things are going on...
    grinding teeth is gut pain...She also may have had a fever and sounds like a hurt leg...??

For gut pain I would use cd antitoxin, hay only no grain and plenty of fluid
    If she has fever (101.3-103.5 is normal range) then antibiotics are needed...the aspirin may have helped bring that down some...so take her off the aspirin and keep an eye on her temp...
    for her leg, sounds likeit resolved itself...