The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl ginger is down in a bad way.we took her three month old girls off her about two weeks ago. She seemed really down about it. Or so we thought. We noticed two days after separating them that she had a slight case of the runs. Checked her eyes and yup she is wormy. So we wormed her with safe guard. The next morning I found her looking worse and laying in her own poo. Her poo was very runny and had what looked like dead worms blood and mucus. Well here I am over a week later still fighting.her stool is looking is looking better. No blood or any thing but smells really rancid . She is drinking water but will not eat. She gets up and moves around but spends most her time laying down. She is also grinding her teeth. So I have been giving her electrolytes, vitamin drench, and yogurt with baby rice. I know it sounds weird but thought it was better then nothing. I have a call into the vet but they can take forever to get back to me. I'm at a loss. She is a family favorite and i'm scared to death we may not make it. Any help would be great. Any advice on how to get some nutrients into her till I hear back from the vet.

·
Super Moderator
82,061 Posts
Get a temp on her.

Also take in a stool sample, she may have worms and cocci.
We need to know, what to treat for, if she is that down, it is critical to treat for the right ailment and not guess.
A vets office, will do the sample for you. just take it in.

Safeguard, in some area's, does not work and it is given at 3 x dosage.

How are her gums, are they pale pink to white?

·
Registered
96 Posts
temp for sure, i would have used ivermectin, Safeguard...seems to be to "safe" for a goat Loaded with worms. (next time make sure you worm the day of kidding or with in 24 hours afterward) once they kid. any worms in the system will flush into her and can have a bad outcome. if not treated as soon as possible, do you have any Bovi Sera? or Iron Supplement?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As soon as she does her deed i'm going to grab some for a stool sample. Just waiting on that. I'll have to grab some thing to take her temp.what should her temp be at. We wormed all the girl befor they kidded that was three months ago. I meant that we weaned her twins. I also normally use ivermec but one of the breeders I talk to told me I should use both and go back and forth twice a year. I have ivermec here at the house also.I also have been giving her iron. Her eyes and gums are on the pale side but are better then they were
Is there such a thing as under worming?

·
Registered
96 Posts
yes, and yes, if you don't give her enough, it will not wipe out the load, is she showing any signs of bottle jaw? 102.5 - 104 temp. how much of everything did you give her? anything else? and yes its good to switch it up. however when your doe shows signs of worm overload i would go right for the ivermec, safeguard does work, but not very well for bad cases of worms. its very resistance when it comes to worms sadly. so it takes extra.

·
Registered
96 Posts
how is her breathing? Also the blood is not a sign of worms, that is a sign of coccidia right off, but maybe if she was straining alot and for a long time she Could have blood just from straining so much..did you give her anything? before this all happen..did you ever feed her Med. feed? like goat noble?

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Safeguard is only going to work for tapeworms, probably. Given 3 days in a row. Give her the Ivomec for stomach worms, and I give that orally. Temp should be between 102.5-104. I had an adult doe with cocci, almost killed her before I figured out what was wrong (the fecal did not show cocci and she did not have diarrhea, so since then I just treat). Sounds like she may have gut pain, since she's grinding her teeth, banamine may help? Since she is down I would "throw the book at her" and dose her with thiamine or b-complex. But, get the temp first...she may need an antibiotic.

Yogurt does not have a "therapeutic" dose of probiotics...it will not add enough lactobacillus acidophilus to help...you are better off giving a human supplement...not sure about the "livestock" products...I'll check on them.

My vet said the new protocol for deworming is to use one product until it stops working and then change. I use Ivomectin for the does and Valbazine for the bucks and kids.

Good luck, I hope you find out the problem. :pray:

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
I would use Ivomec for sure...also get her some C D Antitoxin...keep the toxins from building while her rumen is off...offer her electrolytes to keep her hydratated
did she get too much grain,,new grain,,new hay..or out to graze?? any bloat?
I agree with a temp on her..

Homemade electros
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So just took her temp and we are 105.5. Still have not been able to get a hold of my vet and still no stool so can't test yet. The only thing that was changed when all this happened was the we took her three month old kids away. No change in feed or any thing like that. I've been giving her nutria drench twice a day as dosage as label says to. I'm having to force her to take the electrolytes. She will drink water but not the electrolytes.
Would it be safe to give her ivermec now. It's been almost two weeks since the dose of safe guard. And i'll get some anti toxicin in her right quick.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry trying to do this on my phone so I miss stuff. I have never seen the blood before so that threw me off my game. Her breathing seems to be fine but she does cough every so often. She is just making this oh so sad noise. I'm going to call the vet again. Stupid buggers. Thanks for all your help. Never had all this happen and man it's scary. Oh and I have been givin her pro bios also. Just once a day

·
Registered
155 Posts
Happybleats just helped me through a very similar situation. Try her homemade electrolytes. Mine doe loved it. I treated for both worms and coccidia and gave vitamin b complex shots, red cell iron and the homemade electrolyte. She saved my does life, for sure!

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
105 is high...I would start her on antitbiotics as well..Tylan 200 is otc or Nuflor which is RX...Bananmine to help decrese that fever...the elctros to keep her hydrated and CD ANtitoxin to prevent the toxins from building up...probios are goo 3-4 hours after her antibiotic shot ( I was reminded to spread it out so the antibiotics dont kill the good stuff in the probios) Ivomec is fine to give now...1 cc per 40# sub Q...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So finally got a hold of the vet. He told me to use sulfa tablets. So I started her on those a couple hours ago. I'll have to pick up the fever stuff from them in the morning they are already closed. I am still giving her the re store electrolytes a long with pro bios. Also some pepto to try to help her tummy. Also got anti toxin in her along with vitamin b. I'm limited on what I can get from the vet. They don't do house calls and they want me to bring her in. I think the car ride a lone would do her in. I will try the home made stuff for sure. Gotten a lot of fluid in her today and she seems more alert. So crossing my finger. I have new flor but was told it was only for phenomena. Is that wrong. Thanks so much all of you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
coughing could be lung worms? but i would think you would really notice the coughing, at this point in her shape a wormer alone isn't going to help you. antibiotics a.s.a.p.

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
Nufor is perfect...3 cc per 100#...she may have a few things going on..her rumen is messed up,.the CD Antitoxin will help her through that..and pepto to sooth and dry her bum...Her fever indicates infection..most likely Pueumonia ...Nuflor will help her with that
couphing could be lung worms or part of her illness. Once you get her dry and her fever down...and she is feeling better..I would have a fecal done or go ahead and treat with Ivomac plus 1 cc per 40# sub Q 3 times ten days aprat then nce more at 30 days...
Keep the fluids coming and hay only..no feed...: ) Your doing great

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
K so will the new flor react with the sulfa tablets. And she is currently not eating any thing. That is part of what is really worrying me. I'll go ahead and worm her again. I'll wait on new flor till I hear back from you guys. The vet once told me that some meds will cancel each other out. But as was said by some one earlier i'm throwing just about every thing I can at her right now.

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
Go A head and give nuflor...its an antibiotic...it will hlep what ever is causing her fever..

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
My treat ment would be

CD Antitoxin 1 cc per 5#...no less than 20 cc for 80# goat..Always give no more than 10-12 cc in one locations..
Nuflor 3cc per 100#
B Complex 4 1/2 cc per 100 pounds
Thiamine to keep her from getting polio while her rumen is shut down
dose is 1 cc per 25# for 100 MG and 1 cc per 100# for 500 MG..
All shots Sub Q
pepto for the runs and to sooth the tummy
try this electro recipe..goat really like it

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

Keep hay in front of her at all times and fresh water and a bucket of this electro..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts