Please Help - What's wrong with my goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by FLCityFarm, Mar 3, 2011.

1. FLCityFarm

FLCityFarm New Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Good Morning! I appologize for the graphic pic first thing in the morning.

I believe my sweet Nigerian Dwarf baby was born on 2/12. She is a bottle baby on powdered milk replacer. She started out on goat milk, switched to cows milk for a couple of days, and then switched her to the powdered goat milk. A day or two after I put her on it she stopped eating for the day. I gave her Nutra Drench and she perked back up and started eating. That was about a week ago. About a day after she started with a little poo on her butt and it has gotten worse daily. She gets it on both of her sides. I have given her probiotics for the last 3 days and it doesn't seem to be helping.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    probiotics wont really help a kid that young.

No picture showed up.

Try giving a little pepto if the poo is runny. Its your job as her surrogate mother to clean her up as her real mom would do.

The switching from one milk to the other can cause the scours so you may need to wait it out some till her body regulates to the new food or you may want to try mixing the powder differently so that you find what works best for her.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    gradually change over from different kinds of milk.
    add pepto or slippery elm to the bottles

4. FLCityFarm

FLCityFarm New Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Sorry here is the pic. I have had quiet a time getting it resized and attaching it.

Attached Files:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Awww...poor baby is having trouble with the constant food changes, wash her backside frquently otherwise she will end up sore under the tail and if you choose to keep her on the powder replacer, you may need to play with the mixing ratio, you can give her 5-6 cc of Pepto Bismol to help control the diarrhea

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    How is the kid? Any improvement?