Please Help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by GSFarm, Oct 15, 2007.

1. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    Over the last few months everything has been smooth sailing with no health problems or sickness. Today I noticed my doe, who is about 6 months old, having a little discharge today. When I returned home from fixing Simba I saw that she had A LOT of thick gooey discharge. It looks almost like she was passing a placenta! She wasn't even bred or been with a buck! Please help! It doesn't seem to bother her a bit and she seems even more playful than normal, if thats possible :)

Thanks!

2. samall

samall New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Iowa
    Could it be her first heat? I've never heard of them having that much discharge when in heat, though...hopefully someone else knows more. Is there any odor?

3. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    That's exactly what i though. No odor. She isn't flirty, but if she is tomorrow I'll know why.

I'm praying thats all it is!

4. needs to know more

needs to know more New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    If it doesn't stink. The only other thing I could think of is to take her temp, to check for infection. From your discription I take it isn't blood red. I think what I would do.. once I got past the freaking out stage, is take her temp. If it isn't high. Just watch her.

5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    it sounds to me like a heat cycle...is her vulva red and swollen??? I would wipe off the goo and see if she forms anymore.

6. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    My does get "gooey" to varying degrees when they are in heat. Some get lots of goo, and others just have a little dampness on their vulva. Sounds like your girl is ready to go. :D

7. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Sarah if this is the Lazy Q doe then yes it could very well be an abortion. She was old enough when you got her to have been bred and she was with about 4 male goats which included her sire and her half brothers. Me and your mom talked about this when you all got her and we hoped that yall got her before she could get bred. I hope if this is her she is doing fine. And if it is it is likely the best thing for her. If this isnt the Lazy Q doe then I am not sure whats up.

8. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    Ms. Teresa -

It is the Lazy Q girl. I was too hoping that she couldn't have been bred. We got her at about 4 months old. I thought she was younger than that because the breeder told me she was born only a month and a half before. I didn't see a fetus or anything and she hasn't had anymore discharge than that.

9. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Good, I am glad all is well with her. If she was preg. she probubly lost it and that is fine. You can breed her when she is plenty old enough.