Please help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by gnomes'n'goats, Dec 8, 2007.

1. gnomes'n'goats

gnomes'n'goats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    I have a 3 year old buck who is very sick. The past couple days he's seemed to lose weight. This morning I noticed he had a bloody nose- I thought maybe he hit his nose against something or whacked it against his tire swing toy. The blood was a normal red, not pinkish or foamy.
    Now this afternoon at about 4:30 I went out and noticed that he didn't eat all his hay from breakfast. I called him and he didn't come out of his house. I checked in on him and he was laying down on his stomach with his head curled up onto his flank and he was twitching.
    We forced him up and he was wobbling and swaying and could barely stand. We gave him a LA 200 shot and some keifer for his rumen.
    We also got some vitamin B complex ground up and mixed with water, syringed into his mouth. I got about half of the vit B from one pill and some vit B from a mixture of two pills into him. I'm not sure how much. While we were working with him he dropped down and convulsed a few times. We managed to get him back in his house. He is laying on his side with a blanket on. He can't lay on his stomach.
    He looks really awful and I don't know if he'll make it. Is there anything else I can do for him? Do you know when the vitamin B complex will take affect? He is drooling a little and his head twitches. He drank a sip of water and he has peed. I don't know if hes pooped lately.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I am not sure what it is but I would call a vet!!! He may have polio or listerosis....not sure I have never experienced this. I would for sure try and get some thiamin in him

3. gnomes'n'goats

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    The vitamin B complex has Thiamine (Vitamin B1) in it.

4. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Keep getting the vit B into him, as much as you possibly can, is there anyone around you or a et that can get you thiamine shots?? Sounds like Polio or listerosis like alyssa said. Keep getting that thiamine into him and you could possibly save him.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Give him an IM shot of the vit B, he will absorb more of it and it will run its course more completly through his body. Also drench him with it so it will take effect faster. Sounds like goat polio to me. You can also give him some red cell to boost his energy. I hope all gets well. I'll be thinking about you and him.
    beth

6. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    I'm not going to sugar coat this. He probably won't make it, so you need to make a decision now, how bad he will get before you put him down - if it comes to that. It's too hard in the middle of it.

How much thiamin is in your b complex? He needs at least 500mg IM and 500 SQ.
    Do you have any Dexamethasone? It has to come from a vet and brings down brain swelling.
    Give penicillin (1cc per 10 lbs orally to kill bacteria in the gut), 1cc per 10 lbs SQ of the pen as well or other antibiotic in case it is listeriosis. If it turns out to be just polio, you do this only once. With Listeriosis, keep it up for a few days.
    Does he have a fever?
    If he can't swallow, drenching/tubing is dangerous, but may have to be done to keep fluids in him and get him energy. Give plenty of electrolytes or resorb adn water - a gallon a day.
    Make sure he is laying on his sternum, not his side.

Please update us as you can.

7. gnomes'n'goats

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    We put him down.
    He was just laying on his side stiff and twitching and he wouldn't even turn his eyes toward me and he was obviously in pain.
    He was is such terrible condition and we don't have the things vital for his recovery.

Thank you so much for your help.

Rest in peace Thor.

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I am so sorry. ((((HUGS)))) I think you did the right thing for him.

9. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    sorry you had to go thru that. You did what was best for him and he is at peace now.

10. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    I am so sorry. That had to be so tough to watch. I'm sure he was thankful to be out of the pain. Huge hugs to you guys. It's never easy.

11. gnomes'n'goats

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    Thanks so much you guys. :cry:

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh my that is so sad. ((((Hugs)))) to you for doing the right thing. :(

13. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    so sorry that you lost him but some times we have to make the right choice for them. i think you did thye right thing. he is in a better place now waiting at the rainbow bridge.

14. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I am sorry you had to go through that, we had to do the same thing several years ago with a much loved doe. When I first read this this morning the thought that came to my mind because of the blood was a stroke. I think you made the right decision to end his suffering. Huggs from East Tennessee.

15. gnomes'n'goats

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    Thanks so much for all the support you guys. Poor poor Thor. He was such a large, powerful, majestic animal. At least all four of my does have already been bred to him- I should have a bunch of little baby Thors in the spring.
    Poor guy. :cry:

Things just aren't the same with out Thor prancing in his pen, baaing for his breakfast. sigh. :(

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    {{{{HIGS}}}}}}, for me. I am so sorry that you lost him. It is so hard to do the right thing.

He is now running over the rainbow bridge and having a great time. :hug: